Percentage of protein ok??

Lucky1

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have 3, month old ducklings that I am giving duck food from my local co-op, it says it has a minimum of 20% crude protein, will it give them angel wing or is it ok, it says on the directions to give to ducks and/or geese as their only ration.
Thanks

Storey's Guide recommends 15-16% protein for ducks aged 7-20 weeks.

12-14% for non-producing adult ducks.

16% for laying ducks, starting 3 weeks prior to the laying season.

High protein feed for adult ducks planned for slaughter.

Hope this helps

Could I feed them the feed I have now until it is gone and then switch? (it would take about a month) Or should I go and buy the lower protein right now?

Hi, Lucky1.

I would switch them over to a grower feed now. You will have to transition them for a few days by mixing the feeds. The longer they go on the higher protein feed, the stronger the chances of angel wing.

Also, this is about the time that leg problems begin to show up if your ducks are not getting enough niacin. Watch for wobbly legs, excessive sitting, unusual clumsiness walking, feet starting to turn in/overlap when they walk. If you notice this, you need to add more greens to their diet and/or add crushed up niacin pills to their feed (you want the nicotinic acid type of niacin). Even with the best of foods, some ducklings are deficient in the gut flora that converts niacin to tryptophan, so need niacin supplements, while other ducklings in the same batch may have no problems at all.

I highly suggest you purchase Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, if your budget allows. If not, see if your local library can inter-library loan it for you. It will answer many of your questions as your ducks develop.

Hope this helps.

Tahai

I agree, I would switch now. I got my two rouens from a tiny, middle of nowhere feed store and I bought the feed that they recommended which I soon found out was to high in protein. My drake was only about 4weeks when he developed angel wing from it, so it doesn't take long at all. I had to wrap his wing and within a few days it had corrected and he's perfect now.

Back
Top Bottom