Percentage of roos in straight run

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SkyKng6154, May 25, 2010.

1. SkyKng6154

SkyKng6154 New Egg

May 4, 2010
    Willow Grove, Pa.
    Person I am buying my chicks from advised that her flocks hatch around 30% roos. First, is it possible to come up with a consistent percentage for your flocks/breeds? Second, if it is possible to come up with a consistent percentage, is 30% roos within reason or is the seller blowing scratch up my keister? Thanks in advance for the intel!!!

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Those on any given breeder's farm? Sure. All one would need to do is track the hatches and the sexes that result. And then analyze that data.

Second, if it is possible to come up with a consistent percentage, is 30% roos within reason or is the seller blowing scratch up my keister? Thanks in advance for the intel!!!

Consistent? No. Obviously the percentage will change with every single hatch. Whether a very little or a lot, just depends on the luck of the draw.

She may have held a relatively constant hatch rate of around 30% roos for 20 years, but that means nothing for this particular hatch. This could be the one that defies the "rule" and gives her 100% roos. There are no guarantees and theoretically speaking, hatch enough and the mean will at one point or another swing both ways and eventually end up in the middle -- 50/50.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by