Percentage of roosters in an all-female 1-day old chick hatchery order?

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
I'm thinking that if I end up ordering my chickens from a major hatchery that I will pay the little extra for females rather than going with straight run. I do want a rooster or two, though. The three breeds that I'm considering are Barred Rock, Easter Eggers, and Welsummers.

In ordering females from the hatcheries what are the chances of getting a rooster in the mix? I know it happens, but out of a dozen or two chicks, what's the chance of a rooster slipping into the group?

I know to be safe I just need to order a rooster or two, but if I'm probably going to get two or three roosters regardless why order them?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Ed

Last edited:
That all makes sense, CC. I added a poll to get a rough idea of peoples experiences on this so maybe I'll get some feedback there, too! :)

I'm figuring on probably starting out with 24 chicks when I order...2% would be about a half a rooster...I might need to order one or two, eh?

Ed

ETA: removed poll

Last edited:
I ordered 12 pullets from Ridgeway Hatchery twice, and I got four roosters each time. I don't think that's normal, though.

I got 12 pullets from cackle this spring. 3 are cockerels.
You know how its gonna work out. If you order straight pullets figuring to get a roo or two. Theyll all be pullets. If you order pullets and then a couple cockerels to go with them then youll get the two cockerels and end up with three or more in your pullet mix too.
Least thats how my luck goes.

br, that is what I figure will happen...or a couple of roosters and end up with a half dozen.<sigh> Ah well, it might come down to a flip of the coin to whether I order "extra" roos or not. :)

Thanks for your input!

Ed

Order all pullets, and if you end up with a cockerel or two, yay. If you don't, you can find beautiful sweet roosters on craigslist or on here.
-Liv

Id order the roos. Theyre usually pretty cheap and if you end up with a few you can pick the best couple and rehome or eat the rest.
I like to have a few extras if im raising them from day olds. Always afraid if i have exactly how many i need then for sure id end up losing them before theyre grown.
Depends on the breed you want too when it comes to finding one later on. Ive been following craigslist all this year for a welsummer, brown leghorn and white leghorn roos. Only found a couple white leghorns and they were poor examples.
All three should be real common breeds but never find what youre looking for when you need it around here.
BYC is great but never anything in my area when i need them either. And shipping doesnt work when it costs $30 or $40 to ship one roo.
Ive just found its easier to be safe and order them with the pullets then wait till later in hopes of finding one.

Back
Top Bottom