Perch Design Pictures?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancypo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    We're adding and expanding our coop and want to add a second perch. If you have an interesting perch, could you post a pic? I've seen some people have multiple perches, like monkey bars....

2. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I added a chicken ladder to increase my roosting space.

[​IMG]

3. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I definitely need to do that when I add my new chicks to the coop. I'm expanding, but I think this would utilize space best. Nice!

4. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Here is what we did to maximize the 8 x 8 x 8 space. We don't have that many chickens yet but we're planning for the future.

[​IMG]

We felt that the ramp in the middle is necessary because we plan to have Cochin bantams and Silkies and they don't jump up or fly too well. The different heights might help with the less flighty birds as well, but lots of books recommend putting all the perches on the same level, but if you have limited space, that is hard to do, so we staggered ours like stairs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Quote:Cool idea !![​IMG]

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:That looks AWESOME.

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Cute! My hubby went ahead and built one, came out great. Freestanding so I can move it as needed, use a tree pole and created a stand for it. The girls love it [​IMG] Will post a pic...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am making a coop out of a 7 x 7 rubbermaid shed and am reluctant to attach things to the wall for fear they will bend. How did you make it freestanding, can you post a picture? Thanks!

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  9. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    If you look on my BYC chicken page look at 8-15-10, and you'll see the perch. We used a tree pole going across and the legs 2x4, with wide feet, 1x4's. The feet, about 18 wide. So it won't tip over. We also hung loose chain from above, as the chickens kept digging around the base, as we didn't have a solid floor, just dirt...

10. gardeningaus

gardeningaus New Egg

Jun 26, 2013
    I am after a photo of a chook ladder/ roost and wondered if Racuda could get in touch with me - if we could use your photo in a gardening Magazine in australia that would be great - [email protected].

i can give you more details on email. hope to hear from you soon,
    ally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by