perch layout - help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jessie_Jazz, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Hiya my task for today is to mark out the design for the inside of the coop but I need some help with the perches.

I wanted a 'ladder' type design that I've seen used where the perches are at increasing heights. I know how much 'elbow room' space each bird needs on the perch but how do I work out how far apart (height and depth) to put each perch? I will be putting bantams or small chickens in the coop.

Thanks for any help you can give

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We have a 12"/12" rise/run for standard birds. You could go smaller on both counts for bantams.

3. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    While we are on the subject, how far from the roof, would that also be 12" for a standard?

4. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Quote:so it goes up 12" and along 12"?

5. PeterW

PeterW Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Galway, Ireland
  6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:so it goes up 12" and along 12"?

Yes, up 12" and over 12". Ours are mounted right on the coop walls, we hung them with joist hangers so they can easily be removed as needed and taken outside to be washed.

I see on the other thread linked to there are recommendations for how high off the floor your first roost should be. This will work well for some, but note that you can make that configuration anything that works for you. We raise a lot of chickens each year and try to use every bit of space wisely. For that reason our nest boxes are beneath our roosts and so our lowest roost is more than the 24 inches that was recommended in that thread. It's probably more around 36" though I'm not exactly sure. And even chicks have no problem roosting there.

As for how far from the roof, I'd allow a bit more than 12" for the simple reason that the chickens like to hop off and fly down in the morning. 12" doesn't give them much clearance for that, but 18" would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by