Perch question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr.Grantly, May 14, 2009.

1. Mr.Grantly

Mr.Grantly Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I put in a 1-6 perch about 10 days ago and they dont seem to want to use it. It is about 2 feet of the ground. Should I have something more round or do some chickens not perch. Also they are messing in some of the egg boxes. I dont know why they started that? Any help would be great

Thanks
    Grant

2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    How old are your birds?

My babies (well... 2.5 months) slept in a big black feathery pile until recently... I thought they couldn't figure out how to get up there, and didn't know the joys of roosting and perches, so I put them up there by hand when I went to close them in. I lowered it a bit for them, then one clever girl figured it out herself, and the others, not wanting to be outdone, followed in subsequent days.

It really is in their nature to want to go to a high place to sleep... there's a mechanism in there that tells them it's safer.

3. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Mr.Grantly :

Also they are messing in some of the egg boxes. I dont know why they started that? Any help would be greatt

If they aren't in there laying, I'd close the boxes somehow until they get things figured out... again - depends on their ages.​

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. Mr.Grantly

May 3, 2009
    they just started laying about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have 3 chickens in the tractor and they have 6 boxes to pick from. Should I be closing the rest of the boxs they dont lay in.

Grant

5. Mr.Grantly

May 3, 2009
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by