Perch: Round or flat?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmeeter88, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Ideally what is the best perch for a hen to roost on? A dowel vs. 2x4...

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My choice is a 2x4 with the "4" side up.

One of the big reasons for me is in cold weather they can cover their feet.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Assuming New Hartford is upstate and cold? the reason lots f people like the 2x4 thing is that the chickes then end up insulatig their own feet, otherwie subject to frostbite, by nestling on their feet on a broader roost.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Flat.

6. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 roos and 1 hen that were scared out of my daughter's barn by something about 4 yrs. ago. They have been roosting in my maple tree and blue spruce tree ever since. Even in our sometimes frigid Ohio winters,they are all huddled together on the same branch. One of the roo's comb looked like it was frostbitten last winter. The Farmer's Almanac says we're in for a doozy of a winter this year. My DH told me,"If the chickens don't come to us, we'll come to the chickens!" He's planning on making somekind of shelter in the tree to keep them out of the rain,wind,and snow. They are about 7 yrs. old and we don't want to see them suffer through another winter. Any suggestions for a giant birdhouse? We don't know what tree they are going to pick yet. They change from year to year. They spent last winter on a leafless maple!!!!! [​IMG] rughooker

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My hens roost on a 2 x 4 on it's flat side and I live about 20 miles from New Hartford.

8. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Quote:Really? Woa. What town do you live in?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Round, thick bean poles. Live in the WV mountains and it can get pretty cold around here. No problems with frostbite though. No clean up on the poles and they are just the right size for gripping. If you get under and look up, you can't see any toes, so they must be doing a fine job of covering the feet!

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Township of Russia, outside Poland, NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by