Perches.....do some just not like them?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by undertheradar, Apr 11, 2009.

1. undertheradar

undertheradar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    So I've tried a few different setups (diff. heights, widths, locations etc) for our two girls, and they still insist on just snuggling up together in the nice thick pine shavings. [​IMG] Is this fairly normal?

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    how old are they?

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    If they are youngsters then you have to place them on the roosts and after a few nights they learn. It is better for them to sleep on roosts. It is more secure.

My girls slept in a milk crate when I first got them, 2 on the sides and 2 huddled in the middle, and when I put the roost in I just lifted them up there twice and they now huddle together every night up on the roost.

4. undertheradar

undertheradar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    I've been told they're somewhere around 4-5 months....not laying yet.

As for the floor not being secure...why? They're in a cozy two room a-frame in a southern california urban area. More threat from gang bangers than predators. [​IMG]

The seem to really like laying right up against each other too. I'll try putting them on the perch and see how that goes.

[​IMG]

5. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I understand you about the security, it is really up to you, but naturally they do roost, so that is why we install roosts.

It does lift them up off a cold floor, in winter, and also keep them away from any bugs and nuisance that may be on the floor.

You are right they are perfectly secure in your set up.

When birds are kept in large buildings, and you buy them as POL they have not been able to roost more often they are kept in cages, so they do not know how to roost. In the wild they would learn from other birds.

if you only have 2 then you are their teacher. It also ensures that you can put a poop tray under the roost and save on the mess they make.

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I have two of my 14 chickens that don't roost so to speak. They sleep in the nesting boxes. They were given to me by someone who couldn't keep them. maybe it's a security thing for them.

jeremy

7. suki

suki New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    My young chickens are about 30 weeks, they tend to huggle together in the corner, but they have dirty bottoms in the mornings. If I could get them to perch would it help prevent them from getting into a mess?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by