Perches for Banties Swing or Stationary ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1TurkenLover, Nov 6, 2013.

1. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    So Banty peeps : Perches for Banties Swing or Stationary ?
    How high to put em ? what size diameter. ? How many ? per Banty ?

When I add more bantams should I increase Coop Size ?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never heard of providing swinging roosts for chickens to sleep. Maybe as a toy in their daytime area....

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    My mum was telling me a while ago that as a kid on the farm they had a swinging roost.

I think it might depend on your coop. Mine isn't really big enough to cope with them all flapping as they got disturbed if each jumped up and disturbed a swinging roost. If you had plenty of room I imagine they would get used to it pretty quickly.

It probably also depends if there is a reason in your coop layout that would make it easier to hang a swinging roost from the ceiling rather than mounting into a wall so not have not swinging.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  4. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    A significant number of Old English Game Bantam breeders will do just that. It really helps with strong wings and wing carriage and good firm breast development. I've done it with all manner of fowl, really almost prefer it to stationary.

As far as other questions in OP, for height it would depend on breed, I keep most of my bantam perches 3' - 5' off ground. Use either 3/4" or 1" diameter PVC pipe as a deterrent to creepy crawlies like mites and lice. Run size is really a matter of preference. Bantam breeds can usually fly pretty well and are more susceptible to air borne predators, so I'd say the biggest you can cover. Anywhere from 5-7 sqft per bird is plenty (coop/run combined, for example I have a 4'x8' covered pen that I'm using for housing for 6 Old English Game Bantams, it works pretty well)

1 person likes this.
  5. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    just finished adding Winter Run for growing NN Bantam Girls. Hen and Pullet hoping to pick up a few Fluff girls this weekend.

[​IMG]
    Square on Rt corner is walk through tunnel. Old run 8' x 3' and New run 5' x 5' about 49sq feet ? [​IMG]

1 x 2 6ft Board/Perch on bottom L to R is on 2 bricks. about 4 inch or so Off ground. also girls use the 2 x 4 we used in first run out of as perches.

they have not used 1 x 2 perch yet. so I'm wondering if It should be different somehow.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by