1. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Can someone tell me how much room there should be from the top perch to the coop ceiling? And also the distance to a side wall? Thanks

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can have your roost 3ft from the roof.an make the roost as long as you want it.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I like to leave at least 2 feet to the ceiling. This give the birds room to stand and stretch their wings with out banging the ceiling. I do have some large birds and their's is farther.

The top, back perch is out about 8-12 inches from the back of the house. Depends on the size of the bird.

Matt

Edited to correct my misunderstandings.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Guess I should have explained further...coop is only 4X4X8 is raised, and only getting a few chickens. Being only 4' tall what is the minimum room they need to the ceiling? And how do they perch if it is right up against the side wall?

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our roosts are about 18" - 24" in from the wall...does that make sense?

It's hard to tell the distance from the wall to the roosts but here's a pic anyways...

[​IMG]

Dawn

6. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Thanks Dawn, that answers my question!

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Thank you for posting this question, I was actually just wondering the same thing today.

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My blind Orpington climbs on top of the nest boxes and steps up about a foot to squeeze into a rafter of the coop with a whole 5 inches of room. I think since she is blind, it makes her feels secure to be wedge in like that. The bad part is in the morning when she has to come down, she gets stuck. I tried to block it but she had a fit and slept in a nest box that night..so we let her have her way.

I know this doesn't answer your question. I just go off on tangents now and then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by