perches

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chittyn, Sep 19, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    i have four cheeks who are 5 days old can they have a perch ? if so how wide long ect

2. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    They don't really need a perch until they are at least 2 weeks old, although mine have one in there so I don't have to introduce it later. They are just starting to experiment flying over theirs. The size is mainly just what looks right for their toes to clasp a little - they don't want their toes completely wrapped around it or their feet flat on the wood. Its best to use either a natural branch or a square length of wood with the edges sanded down. For 4 chicks at this age I'd say, 30 cms is long enough, but I don't know how long it should be, I'm just guessing. They probably won't really use it now anyway, and when they do thet won't sleep on it for weeks yet. [​IMG]

3. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I added some in mine from day one ( I got them all @ different ages from 3 days old to a few weeks old)....they all seem to love playing with/on them.....as you can see I had a branch bout 1" thick on the ground as a "starter roost" lol

[​IMG]

4. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I put a 1x1 in mine and they like it find. I put it in there when they were about a week old after a day or so they took to it.

5. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Quote:That is basically what I did - branches of varying width on the ground and at different heights, yet my 4 have been very ground-oriented when they sleep in their hutch. They are well-muscled and healthy from free-ranging, but roosting is not their strong suit.

6. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    ok i just put a small piece of wood but not too hight in for them to play. Do they need occupying ?

7. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    If they have stuff to occupy them, they are less likely to peck each others feathers. [​IMG]

8. chittyn

Aug 27, 2011
    so what do think i should put in ?

9. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:That is basically what I did - branches of varying width on the ground and at different heights, yet my 4 have been very ground-oriented when they sleep in their hutch. They are well-muscled and healthy from free-ranging, but roosting is not their strong suit.

They didn't start really "roosting" at night until later on, but they did enjoy flying up and playing on them during the day...

10. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I'm not sure really myself on that one. In mine I have a low perch, a food bowl, a water dish, an empty feeder thats attached to the side as it was too high for them to feed from but thought they might like to sit on it, and an eco glow brooder plate instead of a heat lamp which doubles up as a shelf and a dark space to keep warm. I don't really have room for much else, but if you have a heat lamp instead, maybe a small cuddly toy would be appreciated and a bowl of sand for them to explore. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by