Perching 101

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Snozzle, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I guess I am not your normal chicken farmer, but silkies aren't known for their brains. I just taught the 3 silkies a class of perching 101, they are old enough now to learn how to be a real chicken, but don't really have any hens to show them and Rupert isn't much help, he just tap dances around them and sticks blades of grass in their faces as an offering. Snooki of course confused as always picks up some hay and starts munching on it, missing all the green grass Rupert brought to her. So being the responsible mother hen have to show them the joys of perching.
    I realize they can not fly, but the perch is maybe 15 inches off the coop floor, no one will get hurt falling off, but yet they went hysterical and wouldn't let go of my finger when I lifted them up to it. It's what chickens do you fluffheads!
    The little black one seems to be the only one who has retained some that was taught today.
    Nope that's not a Liz Taylor wig on a stick, that's my honor student [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Rotfl to cute!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So the fluffy ones are airheads? [​IMG] Bless their fluffy little brains!

4. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Well mine are, but from what I have heard that seems to be the case with silkies in general. They just now figured out how to dust bathe and still aren't very good at it, while my week and a half old wyandottes have mastered this for a while now and my silkie roo doesn't seem to understand that if he goes inside the coop when it rains he won't get wet, he rather just gets angry at stuff dripping on his beak and shivers until I pick him up and put him inside. lol
    Why do the cute ones always have to be so dumb? It's ok though, I don't expect them to do any complex theoretical physics calculations. I may do the golf ball test on them when they start laying, that had my game bantams all too pieces. Lets see if they can tell the difference between an egg and ball.
    Genius or not I love them either way! :love

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I can tell you now they can not tell the difference....... a Silkie will try to hatch anything. I've had ones find plastic potatoes my nephews left in their playhouse, and try to hatch them.... even a plastic french fry. The Fluffier they are the less their brain works... hehe. My one house Silkie has a smaller poof and she jumps up on the couch wearing her diaper and lays on my blanket. A good leap for a non flying Silkie.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

All my silkies perch 2 feet off the ground. Only the smallest has trouble getting up, but no trouble getting off. They all sleep together, along with one cochin who seems to think she is a silkie :lau

7. aoxa

[​IMG] The roost to the left is the one they use. They manage to get on it by themselves every night (besides the tiny one, who I have to put on), and sleep there until morning.

8. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    Maybe it's because they have all the fluff in their eyes, they can't see what they are hatching, but a plastic french fry, that is too funny [​IMG]
    My game bantams can definitely tell a difference, the golf ball episode was huge drama and I had to hide it out of sight before my Cicero would take the whole nextbox apart.

Well these girls are still young, I may make them a little ladder to get up there this weekend. They have rabbit houses and a rabbit nestbox right under the perch, I figured it would help them climb up, but they aren't interested in any of it. I found them all 3 crammed together in one of the rabbit houses inside the coop this morning

9. aoxa

I gotta say, silkies are not high on the smart end of my flock. Even my polish outsmart them. They are always the last to get treats because they aren't fast enough. They can not navigate the ramp properly, and I can not get them to lay where they are supposed to.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I really had no idea Silkies were so high maintenance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by