Perching egg-layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl411, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Chickengirl411

Chickengirl411 New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    My chicken bubbles is a black Australorp/Orpington and she perches to lay her eggs. I have tried to pull her off the perch and put her in the nesting box but she just flies back up to the perch. And she seems really scared every time she lays an egg. this is a big problem because her eggs drop to the floor of the coop and the two other hens eat them. Help! She is my nicest chicken and the other hens pick on her.

Thanks to anybody who responds.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    My Leghorn laid one egg while roosting a few weeks ago. We use hay for bedding though so it just fell down into the hay...I picked it up from the floor, but I can only imagine how funny it must look to be raining eggs from the barn rafters...anyway try putting a fake egg in the nest box...I have 2 nest boxes, and the hens use one always and not the other one...so I put a fake egg in the one they don't use, and today there was a real egg with the fake egg in the seldom used nest box...so for whatever reason chickens want to lay where there is already an egg. Hey it can't hurt to try it anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by