Perching on coop roof? Normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kfisher123, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    Tonight we went out to see if our 9 week old silkies were "getting ready for bed" yet and we found 2 on the roof of their coop! See picture....is this normal? Does this indicate that they are unhappy in their house? Do both boys and girls do this? Thanks for any help!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    That's normal.

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    That too cute - and normal!

4. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    That is the cutest coop I've ever seen!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, adoreable coop and daughter! Those silkies are just darling. I think it's fine, because they just like a high place to sit sometimes, but they will poop all over that beautiful little coop.....[​IMG]

6. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]:lau:lau:lau:lau. Your Silkies are soooooooooooooooo cute. I have 4-7 week olds, I hope mine fly that well in a few weeks. Also, beautiful chicken house(and your daughter is too cute too), great job.

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    That is the cutest coop I have ever seen!
    I'm gushing all over the place...had to run with my laptop to show my Mom.
    She said "If you want a cute coop like that you'll have to downsize your flock a bit" No cute coop for me! xD
    I would say that's normal.
    I'm wondering how your silkies got up so high though! I have to help my lady sometimes. [​IMG]

8. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    That is a very sweet coop! Did you put it in for consideration for the calendar?

I had 6 BR and 2 roos in a small coop. Although the roos sat on the floor, I guess the hens didn't like that, and took to roosting out on the roof. The coop was in an enclosed kennel. That's how they went through the NJ winter! i wrapped the kennel in plastic, tarped the top, and put a heat lamp in there. And I got eggs throughout winter, too. And now they are in a roomy 8X8, no more poop on the coop!

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Cuteness overload! Daughter, coop and chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by