Perching on TOP of the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by herocomplex, Jul 16, 2008.

1. herocomplex

herocomplex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    My lovely chickens (Maude and Eleanor) used to go to bed in their coop each night with no complaints, but lately they've started roosting on the very top of their coop. I know that they feel safer up there, but is this really something I should encourage? They're young now, but they're going to start laying some day and I'm pretty sure eggs roll downhill. Should I physically put them to bed each night? Or install chicken dissuading technology on the peak?

Also, they were both supposed to be Ameraucana, but Eleanor is quite a bit larger, with different coloring, and a different comb. Are these girls perhaps step-sisters instead?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My hens used to do the same thing b/c their coop was not very tall. Now we have a bigger coop with plenty of high roosts. If you don't want to build a higher coop you probably will have to physically put them to bed every night to get them used to sleeping in there... or just keep them locked up for a few days so they have no choice but to roost inside their coop. I think that might help get them used to it too but I'm no expert! I was scared of my hens doing that b/c I didn't want any 'critters' getting them.

And also... the chicken on the right is a rooster lol (its just a guess but I'm pretty confident!)

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    oh and they are EE's...I also have a hen that I bought as an ameraucana but it grew up to be an EE. They're still beautiful birds though!!

4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    whenever it rains my little fruitcake of a polish jumps on the roof, what is she thinking....

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    thats okay, my red star hen just sits outside when its pouring down rain! she will be soaking wet and still wont go in the coop! either she thinks shes a duck or is just plain stupid! lol

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice couple.

7. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Maybe it's an EE thing! Mine does the same thing and now she has the white leghorn getting on top of the coop. Last night they were sleeping on top of the run. [​IMG]
    At least I was finally able to pet them without them running away [​IMG]

I just picked them up one at a time and put them inside the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by