Peregrine Falcon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jdgrell, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jdgrell

jdgrell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    NorCal
    Hi,

Came out of the house yesterday to a lot of squawking. My girls were all hiding under the bushes in our yard. My dominate hen was pitched a fit and came running full speed.

Down swooped a Peregrine Falcon, missed her by a country mile. When it saw me, it roosted in a tree, then flew off.

I have had Red Tailed Hawks bother my birds but never a falcon. The falcon seemed tiny in comparison to my fat hens.

I put the girls up for a couple of days. Havn't seen any birds or prey since the scare.

Question, is the falcon a big concern? Are they known to kill chickens?

Thx,

2. Redwood Forest Bantams

Redwood Forest Bantams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Humboldt
    Quote:It would be highly unusuall for a Peregrine to attack a bird on the ground. Peregrines prefer to hunt from above and attack their prey in flight from a stoop. A Prairie Falcon or a Gyr Falcon are more prone to ground attacks. Having trained and hunted with a number of falcons this behavior you describe in unusuall to say the least for a Peregrine.

3. jdgrell

jdgrell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    NorCal
    It all happened pretty fast. I could have easily miss identified the bird. Thanks for the info! I am keeping a camera by the door if I see it again.

I assume they are a real risk to my birds?

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Since it missed your hen, maybe it was going for something else on the ground & your hen was peeved because she wanted whatever it was!
    Unless you have a broody with chicks, I wouldn't think a small falcon would be a threat to your birds.

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    i agree for the most part with these comments...... and i'm not expert....
    BUT a falcon is still a bird of prey and if it wants food..... it will get food..... including your birds..... THANKFULLY it missed!!!!!

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Redwood Forest Bantams wrote:jdgrell wrote:
    Down swooped a Peregrine Falcon, missed her by a country mile. When it saw me, it roosted in a tree, then flew off.
    I have had Red Tailed Hawks bother my birds but never a falcon. The falcon seemed tiny in comparison to my fat hens. .......................
    Question, is the falcon a big concern? Are they known to kill chickens?

It would be highly unusuall for a Peregrine to attack a bird on the ground. Peregrines prefer to hunt from above and attack their prey in flight from a stoop. A Prairie Falcon or a Gyr Falcon are more prone to ground attacks. Having trained and hunted with a number of falcons this behavior you describe in unusuall to say the least for a Peregrine.​

I agree with Redwood Forest here. Peregrines hunt pigeons & doves in the air. Are you sure you know the difference in your Falcons? To an amateur, they will all look alike.

A Prairie Falcon or Gyr Falcon should NOT be a threat to Large Fowl. One of those "swooping" at a big hen or a small dog is sort of like the Mockingbird that swoops at my cat every day. If my cat could catch the Mockingbird, there would be no bird left. A swoop is just a swoop and doesn't mean they are really a viable threat. Crows swoop at Hawks, at owls; Jays swoop at Crows, etc.

If you have Bantams, then a Prairie Falcon could be a threat (like a Sharp-Shinned or Cooper's Hawk) but not a problem for a larger fowl.​

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by