Perfect day to be off work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm sitting here beside the incubator and listening to the steady work of a much-desired silkie chick emerging from its shell--no peeping, just concentrated pushings from inside the egg...life is good.

2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

I'm sitting here beside the incubator and listening to the steady work of a much-desired silkie chick emerging from its shell--no peeping, just concentrated pushings from inside the egg...life is good.

[​IMG] [​IMG] congrats can't wait to see pics!​

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Did the chick make it out?​

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yep,sounds like a great day to me! [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm also on a "day off" *ahem* and have just taken 3 newly hatched lavender orpington chicks from 'bator #2 to add to the three 2-day old bantam cochin chicks hatched from 'bator #1, all in the brooder.

Newest hatchlings are almost 3 times the size of the banty cochins. But they're wobbly, so the little black cotton-balls can scoot around them like gymnasts.

Plus I still have 4 more eggs in the incubator that might hatch - TOMORROW was supposed to be the hatch day!

Yah, live is good. Perfect day to be off work. (For whatever reason.)

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Ah well, life WAS good...for the two hours the chick made it after leaving the shell...it passed on in the brooder. Had the same thing happen with another silkie a couple weeks ago...other breeds are fine but for some reason I cannot get silkies to survive immediately after the hatch...I have had 3 successes out of 6. Others I hatch at the same time (other breeds) are all fine. Maybe it's my supplier's stock that is the prob...the eggs she gives me are never very successful... : (

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by