Perfect hatching conditions!I did it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pistol123, May 7, 2011.

1. pistol123

pistol123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    I woke up this morning to a perfefct hatch, these were my eggs and did a dry incubation for 18 days. No turning the first 3 days to set the air sack. Used turner and forced air at 100.5. These eggs were dipped in 2 tlb. oxine in one quart water before I ever placed them in the incubator. At day 18 I put them at 65% humidity, Humidity is not the same on each shelf, it ranged from 65% to 70%. I never open the doors or touch once I began and this morning I woke up to a very clean and one day early hatch. I notice the Silkies on the other shelf and now making little hole also. No shrinking or drowning babies and hatching in paper egg cartons with bottoms cut out. I see this way the chicks are not rolling the eggs around once they are out.
    Happy Hatching........the only way is this way, so happy.[​IMG]

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    What is oxine and why did you dip them in it?

3. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

great..! [​IMG]

Community is waiting for the pics.. share us the joy after the babies hatched.. [​IMG]

good luck

5. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Oxine is on line, just google it, I use it now for everything including cleaning out the incubator and hatcher....A top breeder of Silkie's in Washington told me to dip the eggs in warm water and then I just gently pat dry with a new napkink for each one before going into the incubator. This also worked for me using the LG.

Just get a quart of bottled water or distilled nuke to warm and put in two tlbs. oxine.

6. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Did you turn the eggs by hand since they are in egg cartons? Also I thought you had to have a fan? Is that not necessary. I am trying to learn about hatching eggs. Looks like you did an excellent job! Congratulations.

7. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    The first couple of days I do not turn the eggs and have been told by Sundown Silkies and one other not to turn shipped eggs the first three days, also let them sit at least 12 hours before placing in incubator. I have a incubator with a fan that goes 24-7 You do not have to have a fan, but it keeps the heat more even. This only my second hatch, so it's very exciting. As soon as more hatch more kids I will will post photos.

8. pistol123

Mar 16, 2011
    oregon
    Sorry, I forgot to answer your question, I use a turner, I could not and do not want to hand turn eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by