Perfect layer and then a shell-less mess

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hensRfun, Sep 29, 2012.

1. hensRfun

hensRfun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Washington State
    Hi everyone! I've talked to all my chicken buddies where I live and they haven't been able to help with my problem. I've gotten lots of sympathy :) but not real answers.The situation is this. I have a barred rock hen that is 1 1/2 years old. She has laid perfect eggs from the very beginning. About the beginning of September, she started laying shell-less eggs mostly at night when she is roosting. She shows absolutely no signs of being sick and believe me I have watched her closely. She has not lost weight and eats well. She gets good quality layer crumbles with additional oyster shells. She is bright, active, and inquisitive. She looks great- no signs of mites, beautifully feathered. I have done reading on chicken conditions and diseases to try to understand what is going on. The only thing that matches the symptoms is egg drop syndrome. Yes, I know they say we don't have it in the US. However, I'm at a loss at what else it could be. Any ideas?

2. Sussexpenthouse

Sussexpenthouse Out Of The Brooder

Is she stressed or has she had a fright? I have one bird who will drop a shell less egg on roost or in the yard if she has had a fright. The shell less egg seems to occurs after the dog from next door has gotten into the yard and has tried to play with the chooks. This not a regular occurance however I noticed it occurs after the bird has been stressed or alarmed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. hensRfun

hensRfun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Washington State
    No, she has not had any fright that I know of and I have not seen any signs of a predator. She is closed up in the hen house at night and my dogs are in the yard during the day to warn off any stray critters. I know my dogs didn't frighten her because I have a dog fence around the coop and run so the hens have peace and quiet when I am not home.

4. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    My barred rock does the same thing occasionally. I don't know why it happens, like you, and it worries me when it does, and then she will start laying her normal eggs again. I really think it has to do with the shorter days or the heat. I just started their light coming on earlier in the morning and hope that will help. Out of my eight hens she is the only one that does it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by