perfect natural roost/perch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hayn lei'rs, Jun 10, 2010.

1. hayn lei'rs

hayn lei'rs Hatching

May 29, 2010
    new to the chicken culture going for my second coop build as we just ordered more chicks...
    my question is when building roosts or sleeping shelves what is their optimum natural comfort foot position
    through evolution does the chicken prefer round roosts like a tree in nature so claws wrap with a curve
    or a flat surface so balance is no prob and easy to sleep?
    and is there a benefit to one or the other health wise for the feet of the chickens
    so 1x2 or 2x2 or flat???
    my birds are for for family pets and eggs not show we just want them to be happy and healthy
    mahalo

2. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chirping

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Use 2x4's flat for your roost...this way in the winter time they can keep their feet warm.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

Yes, chickens prefer a flat surface. Their feet don't wrap around branches like a wild bird's do.

4. hayn lei'rs

hayn lei'rs Hatching

May 29, 2010
    thanks for the replys
    ill go with the 2x4 or similar flat,here in hawaii winters are pretty warm so i dont think that will be a problem
    on our first coop we used bamboo for roosts they are pretty thick but the birds looked to struggle a hair to balance
    i think the smooth slippery surface of the bamboo does not help a whole lot
    ill look to replace them too we appreciate the help
    mahalo

5. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You're right about bamboo being too slippery.

I use natural tree branches, but I pick smooth barked ones that are a little wider than our bantams' feet. I make sure to sand down any rough spots, too.

6. happydog

happydog Songster

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    They don't really "grip" with their feet, they more like "sit" on the perch. So it needs to be wide. 2x4 with rounded edges is the perfect size.

7. SiranWulf

SiranWulf Hatching

Feb 6, 2013
    Awesome! I want to rebuild my coop also so thanks for posting. It is very cold here, so making the perch wider so they can sit on their feet is a great tip. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by