perfect natural roost/perch

hayn lei'rs

Hatching
9 Years
May 29, 2010
new to the chicken culture going for my second coop build as we just ordered more chicks...
my question is when building roosts or sleeping shelves what is their optimum natural comfort foot position
through evolution does the chicken prefer round roosts like a tree in nature so claws wrap with a curve
or a flat surface so balance is no prob and easy to sleep?
and is there a benefit to one or the other health wise for the feet of the chickens
so 1x2 or 2x2 or flat???
my birds are for for family pets and eggs not show we just want them to be happy and healthy
mahalo

welcome-byc.gif

Yes, chickens prefer a flat surface. Their feet don't wrap around branches like a wild bird's do.

thanks for the replys
ill go with the 2x4 or similar flat,here in hawaii winters are pretty warm so i dont think that will be a problem
on our first coop we used bamboo for roosts they are pretty thick but the birds looked to struggle a hair to balance
i think the smooth slippery surface of the bamboo does not help a whole lot
ill look to replace them too we appreciate the help
mahalo

You're right about bamboo being too slippery.

I use natural tree branches, but I pick smooth barked ones that are a little wider than our bantams' feet. I make sure to sand down any rough spots, too.

They don't really "grip" with their feet, they more like "sit" on the perch. So it needs to be wide. 2x4 with rounded edges is the perfect size.

Awesome! I want to rebuild my coop also so thanks for posting. It is very cold here, so making the perch wider so they can sit on their feet is a great tip. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom