1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Perfect plants for the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Lover 1, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    Hello

I want to plant things in my large run which the chickens would like[​IMG][​IMG]. Any ideas?????????? [​IMG]

Thanks a Million [​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    They'll probably just destroy/eat anything you plant [​IMG] Some of my chickens that free-range all day have almost 5 acres to roam on, but have still managed to destroy all of the grass within 20 feet of their coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    oh well I have clover and grass planted in my chicken yard and they never tear it up

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're extremely lucky then. How long have you had the chickens in the yard? I think it took ours about 2 mos to completely obliterate every trace of green in their run. So now we put in a 'salad bar' which is a wooden frame with wire on top. The grass should grow through the wire and allow them to eat it once it is tall enough and they won't be able to kill the roots. We'll know how well it works when the grass starts growing again.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Took mine maybe 3 months :lau

They had a lot of room, but it was still gone come November. I got them August 1st 2011.

They didn't destroy my burning bushes I planted in their run, but they did everything else.

[​IMG]

6. Chicken Lover 1

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    I have had my chickens in the yard for about 8 years and they are let out into in the morning and locked up at night[​IMG][​IMG]

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you mean a huge yard like free ranging? If so then that's why you have grass. We have a run that is about 24' x 10' and I've had chickens before and they also ate all the green in their run. Free range chickens don't generally eat everything green in sight since there's so much more of it.

Either that or it's some kind of plant that they don't like.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. propagata

propagata Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    They like weeds, don't they? Is it ok to pull weeds from the garden/yard and throw them in the run?

9. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    mine made the run look like a barren wasteland in no time. Usually after i mow the yard, then rake some grass clippings up and toss in there. It still doesn't last long but gives them something to dig in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by