PERFECT Timing, However Cracked Egg Any Chance Of Survival?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Sep 30, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, 4hrs ago my Hova Bator arrived with the charger for my Genesis, YAY! However our power went out, so thankfully I had the charger to charge the Genesis in my car to maintain heat while I drove to my moms to hooked it up to power for the egg turner and continuous heat, however during the drive the eggs did shift and one did acquire a crack/dent in the air sac by sliding into the other egg. I checked them all and that was the only one that got a crack. What is the chance of survival for a egg 10 days out to survive full term? It's moving already. My mom wondered if tape over it would work, I said no it's going to end up dying! [​IMG] But for arguement sake is there ANY chance for survival for this one egg? Anything I can do? My youngest son picked this one out and he just lost his cat, this is going to break his heart. God I hope I can keep this cracked one alive.

2. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    I had one egg survive this year, other than two geese who hatched and were killed by another female. I put it in the incubator, no idea how old it was. It was probably around 18 days when I brought it in. It has spiderweb cracks on over half of the egg. It was cracked everywhere, I didn't think it would make it. I covered over the cracks with melted wax, not TOO hot cause I didn't know if it would burn the baby? I then found more and just used nail polish. I left as much shell unsealed as possible (wherever there weren't cracks) so it could breathe. It had some trouble hatching, and almost didn't make it. But I don't think it was the wax, as it wasn't on the air sack end. So there is hope. You'll just have to watch it I think, in case it can't get through wax and such. Maybe nail polish would be easier to break out of if it's over the air sack. Lots of people have hatched cracked eggs, there's a chance if the membrane is still intact.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would have not driven it with eggs in it at all. Nor would I have moved the eggs due to a power outage. All that shaking is not good for the embryos. You may have killed some on the way and don't even know it yet. A power outage of 4-8 hours is ok since the machine will hold its heat well. I would have just wrapped a towel around it. The eggs only need to be turned once every 8 hours, so no issue either with the loss of power on the turner. I don't think the damaged egg will make it. Some people glue them up with hot wax or superglue, but reality is that bacteria may have already entered the space and that will kill the embryo. You can try, but don't keep your hopes up to much.

4. FunnyBunnies12

It's a small crack and not at all deep, more or less a dent, and it doesn't have the spider web crack affect. Is that more promising?? Just seeing the life move in there makes it harder to think about it. I just got my hova bater to hatch my 1 egg that is due next weekend. I'm wondering if I put it in there or buy a cheaper incubator for emergency purposes like this would benefit it. Like I said, it's more of a dent then a crack, crack? KWIM? I double checked and it is on the airsac on top.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Seal it with wax and put it back where it was, and hope for the best. Don't mess with another machine.

6. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    I also read on here about using 3% hydrogen peroxide in the bottom of the bator rather than water to keep bacteria away better. I did that to try to help the egg survive. I's amazed it did though, it was cracked out in the nest with other eggs (not all that clean) at least overnight before I found it. I would try, but it might work and it might not.

7. FunnyBunnies12

I didn't know not to. I drove as careful as I could. But one turn was what did it. When I bring it home I'm going to put cotton balls between the eggs so as not to allow them to shift as easily. The thing is, the heat wasn't holding, at least how low can the heat go until it's to the dangerous level? It held around 95, and I didn't want to take the chance, but because of my inexperience I obviously made what could be a fatal error. I hope not though, trial and error. I think I'd do the hot wax experiment, cool it 1st then immediately hot then any fingernail polish, the fumes, YUCK!

8. FunnyBunnies12

BTW I did put a blanket over it. By time I got to my moms, 1/2hr later we got power back. I just have no patience, gee like you've all haven't figured that one out yet![​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

a couple years ago i had a duck egg that got a BIG crack in it from another egg falling on it. I used a white crayon and melted it over the crack and all of the little "legs" of the crack that i could see (i sat it on the candler for this). the duckling hatched wonderfully with the others, right on time! Of course i was nervous so i peeled some of the wax off when the egg started rocking and pipped but it was a very healthy duckling. I think i was very lucky and thankfully i was able to take care of it right away.

10. FunnyBunnies12

Hey, my mom just suggested something and I don't know if this would work since it would be hot in there, but she suggested a pool sealant that you'd put around pool filters to seal out any water, would that be something that could work?? Due to the heat, that might be questionable. But most likely I will try the wax 1st. OMG this truly will be a miracle if this thing survives. How long before death or lack of movement sets in would I notice any life at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by