Perfect timing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acsteele, Jan 26, 2014.

1. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    I just opened the nest boxes yesterday afternoon, new shavings, and a few ceramic eggs....and BINGO! this morning, our first ever egg, and in a nest box to boot!
    27 week old Buff Orpington pullets[​IMG]
    The girls have been unusually flighty the past few days, normal for pullets just starting to lay?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the new egg!!!!! [​IMG] Finding those eggs never gets old, even years later. Treasures in the nest boxes!

New layers can act strange before laying their first egg. My girls ran in and out of the coop really fast. Paced in front of the boxes and even got pretty stressed out as well. I think it is a bit confusing for them at first until they have laid a few.

Enjoy that first egg!! What are you going to do with it? After I took a pic of my first egg, we came inside and fried it right up! LOL

3. acsteele

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    Bacon and egg(s) for supper! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats on that first egg! That was good timing, and the pullet even used the nest box, smart girl. X2, pullets can get really weird in the weeks before they start to lay, just figure it is their hormones making them act up.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

7. Congrats on the egg!!!! [​IMG]

8. acsteele

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    when these girls are ready to lay....man, do they ever lay! Two got in on the act yesterday, today there are three, and they are all hitting the nest boxes so far!
    I'm not sure if they are angry with me for taking their eggs, or proud of themselves, but they sure talk to me when I go out to check for progress!

9. acsteele

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    do they tell you what they send you? We've got orpingtons, speckled sussex, and red rangers ordered for a march 10.delivery date

10. acsteele

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    wrong thread, sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by