Perfect....ugh!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Erin80, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2017
    Our chicks were outside for the first time today. They seemed to love it. As I was gathering them all up to go back in the house (which isn't easy since they all run away, jump and flap), one jumped up and my dog caught it in his mouth. He dropped it instantly because he knows he isn't allowed to do that and he skulked away. The chick doesn't seem to have any internal injuries, she is eating and drinking, but she will only walk a few steps before sitting down. Her left wing slides down as she walks, so he's definitely done some kind of damage to her left side. I feel HORRIBLE. Worst chicken parent ever. She is back in the brooder taking it easy (there are only 5 chicks in there), hanging out under the heat lamp. Is there anything I can do? I feel like this might be a wait and see kind of thing. So sad. Lesson learned anyway.

2. Erin80

Apr 16, 2017
    She is 100% fine this morning! Flying all around the brooder, running around. I am so relieved. My dog will definitely be tied up next time the chicks are out for some sun!

3. oredenbacher

oredenbacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    Eastern SD
    I'm glad to read all turn out well. Had a similar situation here yesterday where my teen daughter got the task of trying to clean a few pastey chick butts. Afterwards, the one chick was under the heat lamp with one wing held out, one leg stretched out oddly and looking like death. I was concerned she maybe held him to tightly while he fought. When we returned home later in the day, all was well. My conclusion, and perhaps an incorrect one, is that these chicks are full of drama?!

4. Erin80

Apr 16, 2017
    Haha! Possibly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by