Perfectly healthy hen, found dead yesterday.....wth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by E. Buzz Miller, Jan 18, 2014.

1. E. Buzz Miller

E. Buzz Miller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah
    My 1 1/2 yr old Black Star dropped dead yesterday. I came home from work & went straight the to the coop as usual & found 3 of the 4 hens I have, out in the run. I thought it was odd that my dominant hen ( and nicest ) wasn't around. I checked the coop & pulled back the lid to see if she was laying.
    There she was so I closed it but I noticed she didn't move. I looked again, reached in & touched her & she didn't move. I opened up the door & found her stretched out right where they lay. It looks like she died maybe while laying. I pulled her out & she was stiff but I was able to move her body around so I inspected for any wounds or anything, nothing.
    So I called a friend & he told me to it was probably egg bound. I wasn't about to really check her out to find out but does this sound about right?
    She was healthy as a horse the night before. I've been raising now for 3 years & this is the 1st time something like this has happened.

b.

2. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone on here usually does a necropsy on a dead bird. I think you should try it

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Did she exhibit any signs of being eggbound, such as straining, her tail going up & down or squatting like she's about to lay.... or would you not have been able to check long enough with her being in the run?

The weathers so bad lately I don't think many people stand & watch their hens really closely for too long. I watch mine out of the window, I have 2 cockerels & 4 hens that freerange around the garden.

Sorry about your nicest hen [​IMG]

4. E. Buzz Miller

Mar 30, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah
    After a long week at work & finding this, I really wasn't in the mood to really get down & dirty.
    Maybe after a few cocktails tonight I'll check her out.[​IMG]

b.

5. E. Buzz Miller

Mar 30, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah
    She was perfect the night before. I don't check on them in the mornings so I never saw any illness or anything out of the ordinary.

Yeah, she was the only one that let me pick her up & she was a decent bird for sure.

b.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by