Performance Poultry Orders!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Well we ended up ordering 5 Dominique Hens and 1 Dominique Rooster because I liked the look of the Barred Rocks but was concerned about their comb. Plus I ordered one more Buff Duck and a Buff Drake [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Buff chanteclers from Performance Poultry (specifically), eh?

For whatever it's worth, I sold my buff chanteclers from Performance last winter to the first available buyer, because they matured soooooo slllooowwwwlllllyyyy. I would have to look it up, but I believe it took the pullets at least 9 months before they laid their first eggs, and were not prolific once they *were* laying. That is nine months. It was almost that long til the cockerel started crowing or trying to mount the hens.

I ate one of the cockerels earlier (ca. 16 wks) and it was the tastiest chicken I've ever had, so for that purpose they had considerable merit, but as layers I was tremendously unimpressed. They were also kind of, what's the word, stupid. You could also say "mild-mannered and friendly", but given the amount that some of the other chickens were hammering and pecking on 'em without any meaningful attempt to move away or retaliate, I am sticking with 'stupid'.

The above is probably not true of chanteclers in general -- other colors, or of other lines, may be closer to the breed standard [maybe not laying real young but being at least decent layers once they do start] -- but I would imagine that the buffs you get from Jason this year will be pretty much like those buffs I got from him 2 years ago, so, just a word to the wise.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, like you waiting for his darned order system to open for the year [​IMG]

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Hmm.. I really liked that they were cold hardy.

Can you suggest any other breeds? We're keeping the EE girls but I don't want any more of them right now. I want something that'll do well in our climate without heating, lay well, and breed well. I had thought about Australorps, and Barred Rocks as well.

Anyone else want to give a little input?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Consider Wyandottes. Gorgeous, and very cold hardy. Honestly, all 4 of my girls did just fine in 0 degree weather. Anything fluffly with a smaller comb will do well for you.

5. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might try other colors (white, partridge) or other lines of chanteclers -- there are lots of people within a few hrs of you who breed them, or try some whites or partridges from Jason?

I am almost certainly going to be trying some partridge chanteclers this year, to free-range out of an open coop to be built on the back of the horse run-in shed; I think I will order half a dozen from Jason and maybe try to get some more from a breeder, dunno.

I'm certainly not saying you *shouldn't* try his buffs, just saying that my experience with them 2 yrs ago was kind of a waste of time [​IMG] (They were friendly, though, I will give them that, and the rooster was a total marshmallow)

As sherrydeane says, wyandottes would be another logical possibility; if you care about laying, just make sure you are getting them from someone whose line lays well.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, noticing that the Performance ordering system is STILL not open, harrumph! [​IMG]

6. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I KNOWWW I can't believe it's not open yet [​IMG] <-----see that? SADFACE.

7. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    The ordering system is now open!! [​IMG]
    This year I am thinking about getting:
    4 Welsh Harlequin hens and 1 drake
    2 Fawn and white runner hens
    1 buff chantecler roo and 1 buff hen
    1 partridge chantecler hen (he doesnt have any white chanteclers)
    1 exchequer leghorn hen,1 light brown leghorn hen
    1 EE hen
    By the way Chick_a_dee how have your ee hens been laying this winter, mine havent been laying at all [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I got my order in shortly after they opened, so I should be good [​IMG]

Note for puzzled American readers -- this is a CANADIAN hatchery, and no you can't order from them [​IMG]

Pat

9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Yep my EE's lay everyday pretty much, most of them... today I think we got 4 eggs from 5, but they were in all day and it's been awful gloomy.

My buff ducks haven't laid at all though! I think once spring comes they'll start-a-layin' so I've ordered an extra buff duck and a buff drake cause I totally love my buff duckies. They're so much fun and I'd love more of them.

I also got 5 Dom hens and a Dom rooster, they're so pretty and they look just like Barred rocks just a bit more cold friendly lol. We should meet up this year Settler! I've put in for the last 2 hatch dates because I'll be brooding on our porch so I want it to be nice and toasty out.

ETA: Like Pat I got my order in not too long after they opened. [​IMG] I'm totally excited, the start of spring for us is ordering our chicks and getting cleaned up around the place. I've even started planning our new chicken palace and the moveable duck coop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    Ya i love my buff ducks too!!
    I have four hens, and I get three eggs every day, but i have never gotten four
    so i think we spring comes around that fourth one will lay, haha just like yours

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by