Performed crop surgery!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minniechickmama, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I found two of my Welsummers with sour crop this spring. I took them in and did the ACV treatment like I read. Well, one it worked and the other it didn't. The one that it didn't work with was looking awful yesterday, but I couldn't take care of her then. You see, she seemed to be digesting normally again at one point, but after returning her to the flock, her crop looked like an extra breast hanging down. So, after chores tonight, I said, it is time to do this. I got everything ready that I have read others had to perform this task, and went to it. My husband held her while I did the deed. No on else is here tonight, so I didn't get to take pictures until the end. It was such a messy job. She had at least a cup of grass and grain, oh, and a bit of a worm in there. Here is the picture of what it was, wish I could send it via Smell-O Pics, it is like when my hubby opens a homemade jar of sauerkraut. I am not eating this stuff though.
    Now it is a matter of seeing if she develops any infections. Let's hope not.
    [​IMG]

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Good job biting the bullet so to speak and helping her. I will cross my fingers that your girl gets better now [​IMG]

3. tabetha

tabetha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    San Diego area
    do you have a pic of her before you did it?

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

that is ALOT of food. wow

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    But you did a great job! I sure hope she recovers quickly.[​IMG]

6. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Great job! It is scary to do and definitely a last resort, but I did it once too. Chickens are so amazingly tough! Be warned that bruised healing skin, depending on the breed of chicken, can look black and green. I was so scared mine had gangrene rot, but it was just bruising and he healed great! Keep up the neosporin at least and soft scrambled eggs are perfect soft food for healing. also apple sauce is good and acidic too which can prevent some bacteria.

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I checked her this morning and she is doing okay, she drank some of the water, and her coloring is good. The incision looks good but there is fluid under the skin I have to watch. I am hoping that it is not leakage from the crop. I will be watching her close.

8. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    way to go!!!

9. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm impressed! Good for you!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Update:
    She is still alive, still has good color. I turned her over to feel the site of the incision and check her over this morning and when I put a little pressure on her crop, she spewed a bit. It was clear and didn't look nasty, so maybe it wasn't anything to worry about. Then again, I am wondering she has something jamming up her gizzard or maybe it isn't functioning. She is poop, so something is getting through. I am going to give her some yogurt today.
    Look for more updates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by