Performed my first microchipping yesterday...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been volunteering at a local animal rescue working with the vet tech there. Yesterday I went in to check up on some cats who were recovering from illness after being in another shelter. The president of the rescue needed some dogs microchipped, so he asked if I could do it. I wasn't sure if I needed to be certified as a vet tech to do it, but he told me I was just as knowledgeable as the other vet techs and he had complete confidence in me. We did two dogs and it couldn't have been easier. Suffice to say, it was a proud day for me, espeically since I had never done it before!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Congrats [​IMG]

4. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    First of all WAY TO GO!!!

I wish that everyone would have to have their animal be chipped, be it dog, cat, horse, goat or llama. Not only for when the animal gets lost but if the animal is abused then dropped off somewhere the owner could be found and prosacuted.[​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Good for you!
    I was considering microchipping some of my parrots, but the chips were kind of big for a bird my size (eclectus).
    Maybe if they come out with a mini-microchip, we can do chickens, too!
    How are they put in? Is there a special tool?

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stoopid,

The microchips are about the size of a grain of rice and so once it's in, the animal really doesn't notice it at all. We microchip smaller kittens and have never had a problem, so I'm sure your parrot wouldn't have any issues either. The biggest difficulty will probably just be finding a vet who will do it for you since it's not often parrots get microchipped.

The microchip itself is in a needle. The needle looks kind of scary because it's a bit thick, but most of the animals don't even notice when we do it. All in all, it's a pretty quick process!

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, that's where I saw it, the vet was running a special, and even she agreed, maybe a bit too big...
    Maybe I will go back, got alot of money tied up in them... Thanks!

8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Actually, parrots get microchipped quite often. It's just a matter of finding an avian vet (which if you have a large parrot you really should have anyway). I've assisted in microchipping eclectus before. In birds it's a little different than dogs and cats. Dogs/cats it's just a subcuticular injection, the microchip is implanted just under the skin. In birds, it is an intramuscular injection and the chip is actually implanted in the pectoral muscle. There's less chance of migration that way and less chance of the birds picking themselves open trying to figure out what that thing under the skin is. Also, birds really should be anesthetized for microchipping.

Good job on your first microchips Chickerdoodle! It can be very intimidating, those needles are so big! Especially intimidating if you aren't already used to giving injections (with smaller needles).

9. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My vet is avian certified....and I'm not too crazy about anesthesia unless they REALLY need it...
    Like the NEXT time somebody eats something they shouldn't have. Ahem...
    Thanks!

10. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Congrats!! It is very exciting when they start to really trust you. I was never a CVT but did heavy assisting including surgery assist and things like that. I got to see some amazing ortho surguries and even some heart surgery. Amazing to be a close witness to that.

Keep up the good work and I love the updates!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by