pergo or hardwood ?

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
So we need to replace the carpet in the living room. we have needed to do It for a while now but over the weekend one of the dogs I'm 90% sure I know who ATE a section of carpet
rant.gif

So would you get hardwood which we have in another part of the house really needs to be refinished. or pergo like flooring. please keep in mind I have a Pack that zooms through the house
38899_100_1056.jpg

I've had both (I have 4 mastiffs, not all are in the house at the same time, but nails is nails on a big dog being one dog or four!)

Laminate hardwood (real wood) showed scratches badly

Pergo flooring, has held up wonderfully. I have the american cottage series in gunstock oak (not available anymore). Ps... zooming on these floors will stop after a while cause they're slipery for the dogs (no traction).

(if I were never to have big dogs in the house I'd prefer real wood floors, but since I love big dogs, pergo it is for me!)

Last edited:
I have some of both in my house, and if I had to do it again it would all be hardwood. Once the laminate floor gets a scratch or a gouge, it can't be refinished like the wood floor can. Plus I am trying so hard to get away from plastics, hardwood just appeals to me more.
smile.png

We have 4 dogs - 2 German Shepherds and 2 Pugs - and purchased a 30 year guarantee pergo laminate for our home extension just because of dog claws. 5 years so far and no marks or scratches.

The only real problem I have with composite/ manufactured flooring, is that it installed in a floating manner....Unless the subfloor is perfectly level, you will feel movement, as you walk on it.

The downside to real wood, is, if you are installing over a slab, you must put sleepers down, to nail the flooring to, which adds an extra 3/4" to the floor height.

Quote:
I disagree. I've had both, and the pergo looks new even after 6 years of mastiffs running around, playing ball, and tug o war on them. Not a single scratch. They've held up WAY better than the real wood floor in my other house did (scratched up with in the first month put down).

Now if they're going for resellable value, I'd go with wood, but if they don't care and plan to stay, I'd go with the pergo. IMHO!

Avoid the flooring that's super thick and looks like tile, that stuff IS crap! Think it was armstrongs stuff...it holds up ok to the dogs, but chips easy if you drop something on it.

Royd is right though, what is your sub floor made of? and what kind of condition is it in?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom