Perhaps she just takes after my side - Barred Rock gender question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by figlette, Mar 14, 2009.

1. figlette

figlette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    So she's a little thick in the legs. I am sure they are just egg birthing hips. Right?

Kiwi (the bird with the thunder thighs) and Bean are the same age (< 3 weeks). And I am sure the stance and comb are coincidental. Sigh.

Our girl to boy ratio for sexed chicks since the beginning.

First batch - 1 boy to 2 girls
    Second batch - 1 boy to 1 girl
    Third batch - it better be 3 girls or I am going to have a serious chat with the chicken sexer.

I have a well developed sense of paranoia around chicken gender. Thanks for the feminine thoughts all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Hmm....I don't know about this one. The thick legs and organic-shaped spot on it's head leans toward rooster, but she also has real dark legs, which leans more toward pullet. I'm no sexing expert, but that's just what it appears to look like to me. You could try posting this on the 'What Breed or Gender is This?' board, and you may get more responses.

I sure hope she has some massive egg-laying thighs though, I wouldn't want you to end up with an unwanted rooster! Especially if they were supposedly sexed for you! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. figlette

Apr 10, 2008
    Doh! That board probably would have made way more sense. I have my moments.

Thank you for peeking at lil' miss(ter) thunder thighs. He/She is a puzzler. And for the reminder about the other board.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    that is quite a big comb....but I don't know this breed [​IMG]
    speckledhen is a great person to ask for this breed [​IMG]

5. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Arrow chicken with cankles looks like a roo to me. At that age though
    I have gotten some surprises.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  6. figlette

Apr 10, 2008
    Cankles. [​IMG] (S)he totally has cankles. Thank you all.

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Last summer I had a very roo-ish looking BR chick, with quite a comb at a young age. She also had dark splash on the legs, but iffy on the head spot. She was also a little lighter/whiter than the other BR. The comb was the real concern.

Now, as an adult, she has a very thick, fleshy comb. She very consistently lays medium-sized eggs. She still seems a little "butch" and her eggs are much smaller than my other BR's L to XL.

Here's Sam with her large comb at ~3 weeks, the middle chick next to the feeder:
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both of those have a more cockerel-like headspot, but the down and leg color says pullet. You would not believe the big feet on some of my BR girls when they are young, LOL. Just ask lockedhearts about her Shaq, LOL.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:so I think your vote is wait and see? [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, that always is the most foolproof sexing method, LOL. My vote is still two pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by