Perimeter fencing ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by deanawo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I would really like to have my entire property fenced in the back so I could let my gang free range whenever I am home. I need budget friendly perimeter fencing but have no idea what kind/where to start. It is a barnyard and a large field. It would be for chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. (The geese and ducks are out most of the time now as they don't wander.) Any suggestions?

2. Klukkin Ken

Klukkin Ken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I have seen some great deals on my local craigslist for fencing.
    Short of that, you may want to check your local tractor supply or big box hardware for the welded wire type fencing and t-posts. You can get this stuff pretty cheap.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I would watch craigslist for some used 6' chain link fencing, or 6' wooden privacy fencing. If you have to buy new I would probably look at 6' welded wire / garden fencing, I bought some that was 6' in 50ft rolls for $75 per roll, the openings were 2"x4". I did not price out chain link new, since it didn't work for my design, but that might be cheaper in larger quantities.

4. deanawo

deanawo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I have been watching CL for a while as I currently use chain link for my runs but no results. Is welded wire difficult to put down or would I need someone to install it? Is that installed with metal stakes or wood? TY.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Look into electric fence. It's far cheaper than regular fence, very easy to set up using pre-insulated step-in posts, can be easily moved, is available in solar and wall plug models, and will stop about any critter that does not fly. [​IMG] You can probably set the whole thing up for the price of 1 big roll of fence wire and don't have to dig postholes or lay skirting [​IMG]

6. Klukkin Ken

Klukkin Ken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Quote:It is very easy to install. Much easier than chain link IMO. If you go with the welded wire/t-posts, make sure you get a t-post driver. It is basically a section of pipe welded closed on one end with handles on it to drive the t-posts in the ground. Will make life much easier.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I just have regular old field fence along the back/side of our property (smaller squares on bottom, bigger as they go up). We used old wooden posts, but the metal posts work just as well, and are easier to put in the ground (although the wooden posts look nicer IMO). It's just 4 ft. high, and my chickens never go through it or over it (although I'm sure they could). It's a very cheap option that's simple to put up.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Um, you can't keep chickens IN with electric fencing (unless you use electronet, which is both expensive and very high-maintenance).

So the o.p. will need a physical mesh fence of some sort. Adding electric TO it is never a bad idea, but electric fence alone (the affordable kind anyhow) won't cut it.

Chainlink is fine IF YOU INSTALL IT CORRECTLY which few people bother to do and it is a fair bit of work and rather expensive/time-consuming to do right. If you are considering chainlink, learn about it first to see what all you'll need and decide whether it's really the right choice for you. You CANNOT just string it up as if it were woven wire mesh and expect it to do much good.

I guess the question is, how big is this area and how big is the budget. (I'm not asking you to tell us [​IMG], just saying that's what it boils down to). The ideal reasonably-realistic solution would be 4' tall 2x4 welded wire -- good livestock quality, not the cheesy flimsy yard-and-garden stuff -- with a coupla lines of hotwire added to it. Alternatively, if the area is large, you could use 4x4 sheep wire or possibly even regular pagewire (field fencing -- the stuff that is usually about 6x12" holes) with some 1" chickenwire added to the bottom 3' AND three or four lines of hotwire on the outside of it.

If you have farm-stuff auctions in your area, and are not in too much of a hurry to do this fencing, I'd suggest going to a buncha auctions and seeing what turns up. Sometimes (very unpredictably) you can get great deals, on new fencing or even on perfectly serviceable secondhand stuff. (I would not suggest buying secondhand chainlink, as it is often beyond salvage)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. smithrick

smithrick New Egg

May 8, 2012
  10. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the dogs and look at the fence. It's twisted wire (not welded as welded really isn't as sturdy and we were using it for a dog run) horse fencing or livestock fencing depending on where you are getting it. We just bought 5' rolls of the fencing. We then have 8' wood posts that are cemented 2' into the ground. The nails you use to attach the fencing are shaped like a U. You'll probably want to buy a fence stretcher if you like it tight.

You won't need to do it quite as much as we did with the cement and such if you are just keeping birds in. We spent aroun $1000 total for 500 linear feet of installed fencing. This includes cement, 3 gates and our very sturdy wood poles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by