Periodic incubation cooling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fortkevin10, Jan 2, 2014.

1. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    I have the Brinsea Mini Advance and it has a setting for periodic incubation cooling. It is recommended in the instructions to start the cooling option after day 7 and stop on day 18. It also recommends to have cooling 2 hours a day during that time. And the cooling starts at the same time each day. I can set the setting to range 60 minutes of cooling to 360 minutes of cooling each day. Should I do this cooling option? If yes, how much time a day? Has anyone had any luck/bad luck with this setting?? Thanks!

2. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    I am using the Brisnea Mini Advance Incubator for the first time myself and am trying the cool down method for the shortest time period (2 hours ) as recommended for chickens. The eggs are from my daughter in law's chickens so we didn't have to pay for them...so thought we should try all the things they are recommending to see what the results will be. We are 9 days from hatching and they appear to be developing on track. I will post updates here as well. It will be good to communicate with you on your hatching with the Brisnea. I did buy a separate humidity monitor from Incubatorwarehouse.com as someone on one of these sites has recommended. Just got it today so anxious to see how my humidity level is doing. :)

3. fortkevin10

Dec 27, 2013
    It would definitely be good to stay in touch. I think I'll have to use the Collins setting if yours seem to be developing. I'm about 3 days into incubation, and it's my first time incubating. Ill candle my eggs on day 7 so I can check the progress.

4. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    So far 5 of 7 have hatched from Brinsea and the other two have pipped. Out of the 4 in the LG none have hatched but one of them has pipped.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hi there,
    I haven't used the Brinsea Mini Advance, but I do follow the theory of daily cooling to imitate the time a hen would get up from the nest to eat, drink, and defecate. She is usually up for 10-20 minutes, and I now give my incubator 15 minutes per day of cooling time (styrofoam type).

If you check out the first link in my signature, it goes in depth about the hatching process, and also about daily cooling (and for duck/goose eggs, he does daily misting).

6. fortkevin10

Dec 27, 2013
    How long of cooling did you set a day? The minimum is 1 hour.

7. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    Went with the minimum. We are in winter where we live so that was about all that I felt comfortable doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by