We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Periodically lethargic pullet???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RhodeIslandRed5, Aug 14, 2019.

1. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I have a four month old RIR pullet who, for the past week or so, will close her eyes, and droop her head down. She'll do it when just standing there, or if I hold her. It's like she goes off into a short coma! She's otherwise fine, she eats, drinks, poops, flies on my shoulder. Is she major tired from not sleeping? My mother keeps telling me that she probably ate something that she shouldn't. But if she ate something toxic, she'd be dead now, right? 'Cause she's been doing it a week or so. Nothing wrong with her eyes, no bubbling or swelling whatsoever. Anyone have any ideas please? I'm stumped.

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Please don't ask for photos right now, as I sometimes have trouble uploading pics from home due to low signal. I won't be going anywhere either, I have two other sick pullets to watch; one with a BAD limp and another with torn comb. I feel like I only have two healthy girls left. (I have 5)

3. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Songster

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    Hmmm....how hot has it been where you are? Could possibly be heat exhaustion

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.
    It's hard to know what's going on with her if she's eating/drinking and mostly active.
    You can try direct dosing her with poultry vitamins for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference.

RhodeIslandRed5 and DiYMama540 like this.
  5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Crowing

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How does her crop feel?Hard/Squishy/Watery

Does her abdomen feel swollen or maybe hard ?

I would monitor her closely for the next few days.Birds are great at masking symptoms so its really hard to know what they have until they cant take it anymore.

If you have a scale right now would be a great time to monitor her weight .

6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    They're not quite laying age yet. It has been very hot here, high 90's higher heat index. I gave them some vitamins about a week ago. I only have one packet of probiotics left. But it does have vitamin A, D3, E, and K in it. I can administer that.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Those packets are o.k. but when you can get some poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench and direct dose her. Personally, I usually keep both on hand, but prefer Poultry Cell since it has most of the B vitamins which are not in PND.
    upload_2019-8-14_10-14-28.png upload_2019-8-14_10-14-42.png

8. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I will have a look in my stores when I get the chance, I have been very busy. Tractor Supply is where I get my chicken stuff, and those packets are what I was given from there. However, I'll see if they carry it, thanks! So, are you thinking she has a vitamin deficiency and that's why she nods off like that?

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I have no idea why she's nodding off.
    Does she do it outside when she's in the run too?

10. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Yep. I'm keeping them in the house today since I've got three 'sickies', and she's been doing it a lot I've noticed. It's like she's majorly tired and just can't keep her eyes open. It's so weird, I wish I knew what was wrong. I put the probiotics in the water for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: