peritonitis - 3rd sick girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klmclain1, Sep 17, 2011.

1. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I need some educated "education"! In three weeks I've had three sick girls (out of 8). The first one, I suspected had EYP. On day two, I had done my research and have a vet friend who was willing to give her a penicillin injection as well as painkiller, and send me home with two more days injections. She rebounded immediately and is doing well - although I don't think she's laying yet.

The second one was a week later. She had the same symptoms as the first, but I suspected that my first "diagnosis" was incorrect since there was a second, identical case. My friend was not available to help, and she quickly died.

This morning, I awoke to yet a third girl obviously not acting right. After the last one, I had mail-ordered my own penicillin and already have syringes. She's showing all the same symptoms (lethargic, no mites, not worms that I can detect, cooked-yolk looking in raw egg white looking) with the addition of the red swollen belly. I put her in a warm bath - where she fell asleep, dried her with the hair dryer, and gave her penicillin. So far so good tonight. She's asleep in the house.

Does anyone have an idea what might be a contagion going through my girls that causes a bacterial peritonitis that might be affecting their egg production?? Or any other ideas? I really would like to see this stopped before the other girls are hit.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How old are they and are they from a hatchery?

Many hatchery based birds are bred for eggs, eggs, eggs, eggs, and just are genetically predisposed to getting issues with their reproductive systems starting between 3-4 years old.

3. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    I did get them from a small hatchery in Texas. The first two were Black Australorps, the third a White Leghorn. They're only 9 months old.

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    What symptoms are you seeing that makes you suspect peritonitis? What makes you think this is bacterial peritonitis? Egg yolk peritonitis is usually sterile, at least initially.
    There are a lot of other diseases that can be killing your chickens. If you lose another one, I would encourage you to have a necropsy done, as this is either contagious or very very coincidental.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At only 9 months, does not sound like any egg laying type issue. I suspect something else is causing the demise of your birds.

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    Peritonitis because of the red, swollen belly, and "cooked" egg yolk appearance of stuff she's expelling. I believe it's bacterial because my first hen to exhibit this (and I took to the vet) was cured by penicillin. I didn't get penicillin to the second one on time and she died, but the third one I did and she's bouncing back very quickly as did the first.

There's really no facility available here for a necropsy on the one that died. She's gone now anyway. I've got a huge bottle of penicillin in my fridge now and it's working!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by