Peritonitis, coccidiosis or ??? Need advice, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Mom, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Chickie Mom

Chickie Mom New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fellow chicken parents,

I've been visiting BYC for the last year but this is my first post. Thanks to many of you for sharing your stories & priceless knowledge, it has helped me immensely in this journey.

One of my girls, a 10 month old Buff Orphington, is definitely not well. I have searched, Googled, called vets, and read 100's of forums to no avail. She was broody about 3 weeks ago, and I'm pretty certain has not laid since. We do not have rooster so she could not hatch. I kept her out of the coop and locked her in the run, not allowing her to climb into the nest boxes at night to break the broodiness. Shortly after she was back to her normal self I noticed a decent amount of blood in 2 of the nest boxes. I check every bum but all was well and the girls all seemed fine. That said, there was not a blood covered egg either. It was within the last 2 weeks Buffy started acting unwell. Here are her symptoms: puffed-up feathers, tired, not eating or drinking well, not laying, difficulty getting up on perch bars, comb is pale, purplish & folded over (her's has always been semi-flopped over & pale w/ a purple tint), noticed what looked like egg material in her poo today.

I have examined her over and over again since noticing her change in behavior, originally thinking she was egg bound. There is nothing that I nor my husband have been able to feel. She does not have a messy bum or swollen tummy either which could indicate peritonitis which is what her other symptoms point towards. She still tries to get away when I attempt to pick her up to have a look but each day she seems a little weaker. My 9 other girls seem fine except for a broody Australorp for the third time in 3 months.

I have still yet to identify who the blood came from, I thought possibly she had a rupture somewhere in her reproductive system as this has played out. My girls are all free range, fed organic fermented feed, water with garlic, access to a covered run and their coop is heated and insulated. They have never been given any kind of medication or vaccine, not that I am against that, I am simply trying to provide as much info as possible.

I am attaching 2 pictures of her with Runty. I am grateful for any advise or thoughts on what she may be going through and what I should do to treat her. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone answer her...I can not help.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have you checked the inside of her vent? I would bring her inside and get a good look at all of her poops.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Chickie Mom

Chickie Mom New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Colorado
    Thanks Kathy. I haven't internally examined her vent. She's worse today.

Her oil gland on her back now seems clogged as well. I will get something set up inside but unfortunately have work and little ones to look after as well. Any other thoughts out there on what this is?

Thanks all :-(

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Hard to say. Can you drop her off at a vet?

-Kathy

6. Chickie Mom

Chickie Mom New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Colorado
    I kept her inside today, she didn't eat or drink anything....not even her grapes :-( Went ahead and put her in the coop tonight with the other girls and she seemed to perk up a bit, even drank some water. I monitored her poops today, only three total, two appeared to have yolk and egg white material in them.

I have called 4 vets, one didn't call me back and the other 3 said $70 just to examine her and probably additional costs to determine what is actually going. That won't be an option for us.

I read some more threads on peritonitis and rare but possible help with antibiotics. I was thinking of getting some penicillin and starting her on it tomorrow, it couldn't hurt right? I don't want her suffering but if antibiotics may give her a chance then I want to try. I've researched dosing and it is all over the place, what would you do or have you done for dosing or should I not go that way at all? Thanks again for the help.

Melinda

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm mostly here for moral support, but I also agree that you should try to tube feed her as well as worming and possibly medicating. It's not nearly as scarey as it sounds and it will greatly improve her chances.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would surely treat her with corid or sulfadimethoxine . I would use the penicillin too. This would cover her for coccidiosis and enteritis. The worming is a good idea too. If she won't drink the medicated water, keep dribbling it on the side of her beak with a teaspoon. Sulfadimethoxine and any 'cillin antibiotic or tylan would cover the most common ill causing things.

10. Chickie Mom

Chickie Mom New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Colorado
    Thanks to you all for the advice on Buffy. Our girl died this morning.

Since my last post I consulted with two other vets and left a message with a third avian vet but they never got back with me. One of the vets thought Buffy had a spinal injury and needed to see a chiropractor. I honestly didn't know such chiropractors existed. She said that Buffy may have gotten hurt and that this injury had caused her reproductive and digestive tract to stop functioning properly. She advised that a chiropractic vet align her spine and hoped that would kick-start her systems again. I contacted the vet she referred me to and she was very caring but had only held a chicken once. We set a time to meet to see if there was anything she could do. Our household came down with sickness and I couldn't make it. I left her a message but she didn't get back with me. It was a difficult week trying to meet and arrange any type of appointments because of Christmas. I still haven't heard back from either one of them.....anyone have a good avian vet connection in Colorado?

I performed necropsy on Buffy, this was my first time. I was praying to find what was wrong with her and that it was something that I couldn't have prevented. It was not anything I originally suspected like peritonitis or coccidiosis. She had an impacted crop; I pulled a tennis ball sized amount of grass from her crop. After researching this condition I am so sad because there were several ways we could have attempted to treat this. I don't know what caused the crop impaction, it could have been many different things as I am sure many of you know. It may have been a spinal injury and everything just stopped working, I don't know, but that just didn't seem to fit.

An impacted crop never crossed my mind. I wanted to share our experience in case someone else out there finds themselves in our situation and doesn't know what to do. It sucks because I now know we could have done more for her at home and she may have had a chance, she was starving to death :hit

Thanks again for the information, guidance, tube feeding videos and literature.

~Melinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by