Peritonitis?Whats wrong with her, how can I help????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michie, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    I found my RIR with this large, swollen,squishy,red, featherless area about 2inches below her vent?? Shes walking around, eating, drinking etc....(acting normal) Does anyone have any clue of what this is?? Or if there is anything I can do about it to help her? My immediate thought was maybe its peritonitis, IDK much about chickens and its just a guess. I imagine this area is gonna get larger and she will die, but I dont know how it happend, or if there is anything I can do to help her?? Thank You sooo much for your help! Oh shes 18months old.

[​IMG]

2. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That butt doesn't look too bad... is she really bloated, like a bowling ball?
    Does she seem uncomfortable?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Her butt is fine except that it is lacking feathers. I have a hen that has looked like that for over a year due to feather picking. Any chicken skin exposed to the elements turns bright red like that. And as far as the "swollen and squishy" part- that's what a bare chicken butt looks like. Trust me- I've been looking at one for way too long.

No worries. Good luck.

5. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    ITs pretty swollen, but I hope your right CMV!!! Its a good 2-3 inches below the vent, so I didnt think it was the butt??, and its about a baseball size! I am gonna read on the EYP, and hopefully get some tips if there is anything I can do. She was acting fine just wobbleing a bit more, tommorrow I will check her entire body, I was just so in shock to see it, and I have never seen this before.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I got to know chicken butts really well last year when I got the most aggressive group of birds I have ever had. These birds ripped all the feathers out of each other for about a year. I had chickens wandering around the yard that looked like they belonged in the freezer section at the grocery store. They were that bald. That is how chicken butts look without feathers. Who knew that under all those fluffy feathers they had a big, ugly, baseball-looking butt? Hideous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by