Perma-Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sybadd, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Sybadd

Sybadd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi all

I didn't get a lot of feedback from my previous post. Thank you though to Aart for your input :)

So I decided to just go ahead and build it and try it as an experiment.

Here it is, the "Perma-Run" on top of one of my 5 vegetable beds. it will stay there with the chickens in it until November. During that time the girls will dig, eat and poop :) filling the earth with lots of goodies over a year (will almost a year, I came up with the idea a little late)

In November I'll move it to the next bed during it's "rest" period.

I currently have 2 birds in here, ideally I would like 4. Do you think 4 will be ok in that space??

[​IMG]

Oh, please excuse the scarecrow and water drum, it's been very windy the past 2 days...

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    How long is the run?? It looks like a great idea, but I think I would probably move the run every 3 months or so. Chickens poop a lot, and I think the area will become 'icky' - just a thought.... neat idea though, Sue

3. Sybadd

Nov 26, 2013
    The whole thing is about 4.5m (15ft) long.

I'll keep in mind about it getting ikky, the idea is it's there for a year, the other beds will be growing and "SHMBO" doesn't want me to put them any where other than "my corner" of the garden :/

I'll keep planty of hemp chips in there and dig it over regularly.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I really like the overall idea. Agree that a year might be a bit long but you can watch and evaluate as you go. Looks fine for 2 birds but my first reaction was possible small for 4. What if your sqft inside and then what is your sqft outside?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Sybadd

Nov 26, 2013
    5.3 45

The coop is 5.5 sqf and the run is about 45 sqf aprox

6. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

This may be helpful...http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...re-fertilizer-zm0z13amzkon.aspx#axzz2pXwohUow. Harvey Ussery's book "The Small Scaled Poultry Flock" has some good info. He also has some articles in Mother Earth News. You might also look through the gardening thread in BYC.

I'm experimenting with this also. Last year I planted my fall garden 30 days after pulling my chicks off but the area was 250 sq ft, everything grew.

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Is the coop where they sleep also or is this just a run for during the day? If it is there full time home I think the run is great for 4 birds but the coop is likely going to be a bit small. If they are sleeping elsewhere then I think your in great shape.

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    I found this quite enlightening. Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by