Perma Guard Fossil Shell Flour DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simpsoncj, Aug 11, 2010.

1. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    My husband bought this product for me to put use as an anti-lice-mites for my chickens. I was just wondering if he got the right thing. Anyone have any ideas? It is Perma Guard Fossil Shell Flour, fresh water type, Food grade. Anyone else use this product? If not do you have any ideas what is a good one? This one is the consistency of flour and it says you are supposed to mix it in your pets food.

CS

2. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    That's it. You can mix some in their food, dust them with it and sprinkle it on the litter in the coop. You can also take a heaping teaspoon a day in an 8 oz glass of water for yourself. You just have to keep stirring because it will want to sink in liquid. Yogurt is another thing to mix it into for personal consumption.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is good for keeping your coop dry. DE is a preventative for lice/mites, but not for an infestation. DE is silica, powdered sand, why would you drink powdered sand? Sand sinks when it's wet. Animals insides are wet just as human insides, it's useless when wet. Yogurt is good for you and your chickens as a probiotic, especially after worming chickens.

4. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks guys. I will spread as soon as the wind dies down.[​IMG]
    CJ

5. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Songster

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:DE is said to keep your colon squeeky clean, and to give you pep! I haven't tried it myself, but people rave about it. [​IMG]

And yes, you've got the right stuff!

6. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If I ate sand....my colon would be squeeky clean too! Pep? A run to the bathroom maybe!

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Songster

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:[​IMG]

Touche, my friend!

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I feed DE to my chickens, cats and dogs. I've never had an issue with worms or other internal parasites (*knocks on wood*) in large part thanks to their DE consumption.

Naysayers will tell you it's useless, but the proof is in the puddin'. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The stuff works!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  9. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    As in Sunnydayz post, like I stated...DE will fail you as a wormer. Next time you bring your dogs and cats to your vet for shots...ask your vet about DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by