1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Permanent broken leg, ok to sleep alone?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahwhite, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ahwhite

ahwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    So my chicken broke her leg several months ago. Didn't have the heart to kill her right away, and decided we would do our best and see how things go. We tried splintng it, let it heal, and she did regain movement in her toes, so we put her back with the flock to see how things would go. She gets along amazingly well, travels the yard, and does not seem to be picked on by the other hens. However her leg is severely bent and she does her best not to put too much pressure on it for too long. As a result she doesn't roost. We tried building an ADA style roost that was low, extra wide and has a ramp leading up to it, which she can get up but she doesn't. A couple of the other hens used to sleep on the ground with her, but now they pretty much always roost. The temps just dropped here, should I be concerned that she sleeps on the ground near the door by herself? Or will she be able to keep herself warm?
    Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as it is dry and non drafty she should do fine.

3. ahwhite

ahwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Ok great thanks! I will do some work this weekend to make sure the seal on the door near where she sleeps is pretty solid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by