Permanent coop gets no sun!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sheenasmom1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. sheenasmom1

sheenasmom1 New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Hi. This is my first time posting to the group so bear with me. My husband was trying to build me a nice coup. Not a huge size to start but very secure. He built it on the side of our garage. Problem is he didn't take into account that end of the garage never gets any sun because of the neighbors trees! The hens should have been laying by now and maybe they will soon. The head of the group is doing the squat when I go to pet her. So I'm hoping. They are RIR and Sextons I believe. Three of each. I love them to death and try to spoil them rotten. Always researching to find out more about them and what's best for them. I haven't yet found information on a coop that never gets direct sunlight! My husband has been furloughed with the shut down so I am trying to find a really cheap way and see if I can't use something around here to make a portable run for them so they can be in the sun some during the day. Until then, can anyone tell me if them not getting direct sunlight would cause them to delay laying? They are about 6 1/2 months old now. They are fed twice a day, always have fresh water and I clean their coop almost daily. Lol. I put a warming light out in the part of their coop that is not boxed in and I turn it on at 530 am now because it's getting colder and the day light hours shorter. I know I have a lot to learn but I am always trying my best to please my girls and see they have what they need. Can anyone advise on the no direct sunlight issue? Thanks

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Having a portable run that you can allow them to get some sunlight in would be good for their health in general. Not sure if you have considered pallets as an option to build a small run in the sun, but they can usually be had for free. Another inexpensive option might be a hoop run made out of thin flexible PVC pipe.

As for the lack of sunlight causing a delay in laying, it might contribute but it could also just be that they are not ready yet combined with the fact that the days are getting shorter. It does sound as though the one hen is heading towards point of lay. Hang in there - the eggs will come.

3. sheenasmom1

sheenasmom1 New Egg

Jul 16, 2013
    Thanks. I never thought of pallets. My son can get them for free. I'm off to design a portable run using pallets! Very excited! Thanks again!!

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Glad I could help. And take plenty of pics if you build a pallet run - I am sure there are a bunch of folks on BYC who would love to see it. :)

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    When I need to make a temp run I use deer net, cost $15 for 100 ft roll.

6. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Sunlight gives them vitamins, etc that their bodies (and feathers) need just like people. My first coop was built in the shade of the woods so the chickens wouldn't overheat in summer with an almost full tin roof on the run. Wouldn't you know it? I ran out of tin for one square foot in a corner! I noticed the chickens were all crowded in one patch of sunlight streaming down from the missing tin area:) It was funny to see but made me realize that my chickens needed to be able to sunbathe as well and the rest of the coops get only half- covered runs. Hope u can find a good patch of light for yours! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by