permanent marker?????????New goslings......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missionsix, Apr 20, 2009.

1. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    I would like to remove the band from my new gosling. Unfortunately they are identical and I need to mark one. I was thinking a of a mark/dot on the top of the foot with permanent marker?
    [​IMG]
    My 2 other goslings (5 weeks) were much nicer than I anticipated. Couple of nips, but, nothing serious. I would guess that they shouldn't be left un-attended with the other 2?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We have marked ours that way, shouldn't hurt them, just get the marker on the fuzz, not the skin.

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    With how much goslings play in their water, I've never been able to get a mark to work. Your best bet is to use zip ties as leg bands. When the goslings outgrow the ties, snip them off and give them a larger one.

As long as you cut off all of the extra tie I haven't found it to be dangerous to the goslings. I zip tie my goslings to keep track of bloodlines, hatches and genders. It's a whole lot easier.

The only other way to keep them separated out is through a physical mark of some sort, like hole-punching the webbing, snipping off the nail on the dewclaw or cutting a notch out between the toes. If you do this when they're young there's almost no blood and after a quick yelp the babies act as if nothing happened - no one limps or keeps crying.

4. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    use nail polish and paint their nails

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  5. Jazzymond573

Jazzymond573 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    WI
    duck&chickencrazy :

use nail polish and paint their nails