Permectrin II (pyrethrin) scaly leg mites

Curnow

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 27, 2015
Breckenridge, Missouri
Hello All,

Wondering if you think this treatment would work for scaly leg mites. I have a flock of about 65.

I have a bottle of Permectrin II (pyrethrin) that is labeled for chicken mites(general statement on label). It is a contact killer, and is labeled for used on poultry. However, I am trying to get rid of scaly leg mites not body/feather type mites and am concerned it will not be effective as they live under the scales.

Does anyone think it would be worth while to mix it to label specifications and then dip the shanks in the solution? This is my own idea, but I'm not convinced it will work at all. I have this on hand is why I'm asking. It will not be a problem to go get Ivermectin if needed.

Thanks for any replies!

am concerned it will not be effective as they live under the scales.
You are correct!

Ivermectin would be effective... though not labeled for use in poultry and requires an egg withdrawal time.

Suffocation is also considered an effective treatment for SLM... coating the legs with vaseline, crisco, or other viscous substance. I believe one night is enough but many do two nights in a row. No personal experience, but always trying to learn and to help.

When treating that many birds... I always do it after dark , using a flashlight (head lamp) so I don't have to chase anyone and it makes it easier to keep track for me.

I would probably still want to use the pyrethrin (I use permethrin, synthetic pyrethrin essentially) on lay boxes, coop floor and under roost...
TE006407

Sold in different concentrations and under different brand names... this ready to use one lasted my flock of 82+ birds, 2 large goats and 3 medium dogs more than 2 years for under $8 and very effective... on things listed which doesn't include SLM... for the same reason you are concerned... they are systemic feeders and may not come to the surface to be effected.

Please note, that scales may continue to look terrible until they fall off or are replaced by new ones.

If you do try your dipping method.. please report back with results! :fl

I would go straight to ivermectin treatments.

Yeah, thinking that will be best. Not all have it yet, but we know how that goes!!

I have 12 chicks that are 6 weeks old in a coop and yard area very close to main yard that belongs to adult free range flock. Oh, and I just set an incubator full of eggs. Would hate for the little ones to get infested from the get go!

Last edited:
This is probably my own fault anyway...
I felt soooo bad for the wild birds with the horrible harsh winter we had so I was throwing out chops and layer rations to them under a tree next to the chicken house just inviting them into the area.
Sigh:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom