Permethrin 10%

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drdolittle, Jan 25, 2010.

1. drdolittle

drdolittle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Downeast
    After treatment with Permethrin 10% is it ok to eat the eggs? is there any sort of withholding time?
    I've searched and searched but can only come up with withholding time for pigs and cattle.
    I finally had to treat my chickens with Permethrin 10% (diluted and "dunked" them in) after a long struggle to treat lice. (The chooks were given to me supposedly just molting but after problem after problem I've figured it out now my whole flock has it too ![​IMG])
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Sorry to hear of your problem...I am unsure of how to answer this! Hopefully someone will chime in with better info...IMHO I would hold off on eating their eggs for at least a week to be safe!

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    We used this on Produce at a store I used to work for .. As far as I no it is safe to use around food. So I would assume it would be safe to eat.. This is only an assumption I have no facts to back this up.. If you are worried wait two weeks before eating..

4. drdolittle

Jan 25, 2010
    Downeast
    Thanks. I've come across several non official things saying it would be ok. If anyone knows of an official yes or no I'd appreciate it. You'd think there would be something out there ya know?!
    I also read that with the liquid stuff you don't always need a second application as it can kill the eggs too/ the residual effects kills newly hatched lice too- anyone have this experience?
    Thanks again

5. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Are you perhaps talking about Permethrin?

6. drdolittle

Jan 25, 2010
    Downeast
    [​IMG] goodness you're right Permethrin 10% not sure why I typed the other name. thanks for catching it.

7. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Just an FYI do not spray onto birds in molt. The poison will seep into the quills, which is a direct blood flow, enter the birds body and poison it. It will cause it to have tremors,blindness, and become paralized. First hand knowledge of this.

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Its actually both Pyrethrin and Permethrin.. If you search one the other pops up at well....

9. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    Permethrin dust is used on tomatoes to get rid of pests, but I think there's a two week witholding - or something similar to that anyway.

10. drdolittle

Jan 25, 2010
    Downeast
    In case someone is looking for info I thought I'd update- dipping them worked great and seems to have killed the eggs too. We've checked several times and all's clear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by