Permethrin Dust & Mite Advice

danigprice

Hatching
Jul 17, 2021
We are battling a wood mite infestation and wanted to know how often you should dust your chickens with Permethrin? Also we have power washed and sealed the coop, should we keep the chickens quarantined in another area until all of the mites are gone or is it ok for them to re-enter? Any advice on how to rid your chickens of wood mites welcomed! Thank you

95% sulfur powder is an effective treatment for mites (in my case Northern Fowl). Dusted weekly to the skin until mites are gone. I also mix it into my dust baths and put in into a underwear laundry bag that is hung over my pop door so that the chickens brush it as they go by.

I started by using permethrin spray but our winter started and had to switch to a dust (do not have access to permethrin dust in Canada at a reasonable cost),

I use permethrin concentrate and poultry dust. Not sure what kind of mites you might have. If they are true wood mites they are not dangerous but if they are chicken mites or northern fowl mites then that is a different story.
ChickenMites.jpg

Attachments

• MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 19
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 24
Hello..you have done your due diligence by power washing and sealing..i quarantined mine when i was hit with it..permethrin is strrong and necessary if infestation bad..i dusted my floor only. I however chose to go with daiatemaeuos earth ( food grade..5# 20 dollars at TSC) for dusting my fowl..and all wood and crevises of coop. Make sure its dried from the wash..wear a mask as it can irritate the lungs..I dusted my fowl every day...for a week. I also added it to their dust bath.
I also used A&D ointment on their feet, as a precaution, in case mites migrated..it smothers and soothes and also softened their scales.
Burn all the bedding if possible. Or at very least bag and dump..do not be tempted to put in compost or bury..i dumped old fuel on mine and burned it.

Thank you very much!
Your welcome..again permethrins are necessary at times..if your infestation is bad enough..your animals health and comfort are of the utmost importance. DE is a good long term addition to your animals routine as a healthy non chemical alternative. You might want to add some electrolyes/vitamins to their water as a boost to their immunne systems and to help with any anemina. I hope all goes well.

Permethrin and other inseticides don't kill mite eggs so repeated weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks is necessary. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom