Permethrin (Spray on) and Cydectin

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Windy Bay Farm, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Windy Bay Farm

Windy Bay Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've been having issues with mites on my birds and some may have worms. I have the liquid Permethrin that I would like to try and spray on the birds to try and combat the mite issue. Seeing as I have never used it, can anyone tell me how much water to use when diluting the Permethrin for use on the birds ? The instructions say that you mix 8 fl. oz to 12.5 gallons of water. I really don't need all that as I only have 24 birds to treat; has anyone mixed this on a much smaller scale ? How often do you treat after initial treatment ? Is there a withdrawal period for egg use ? Where do you spray it, all over the bird, under feathers ? Also, when using permethrin to treat the premises (coop), what is the ratio of permethrin to water when mixing ? My coop is approx 70 square feet.

The Cydectin for treatment of worms; how much do you put on each bird ? Where do you apply it (back of neck, under wings) ? Do you just do one treatment or do you have to do more treatments after the initial treatment ? Is there withdrawal from eggs with this product ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never used these products before.

Thanks !

2. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    You could mix 1/2 oz with Pymethrin with 3 quarts of water. if you want to keep the same approximate ratio of 8 oz to 12.5 gallons.

3. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I don't have Pymethrin or access to it. I'm in Canada and they don't sell it here.

4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Sorry I meant Permethrin as you mentioned in your initial post.

5. Windy Bay Farm

Apr 14, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Great ! Thanks so much for your help !

6. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Thanks for info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by