Permethrin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Jul 27, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I just dusted my chickens with this, it is my first time anyone else use this? Also should I let them out after or keep them in? I have told my kids not to handle them at all.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Permethrin should work fine. Turn them loose to go about their business. You and your children are not at risk with chicken lice - they only like chickens. Mites, however, are another matter. Have you diagnosed what it is you are treating? Check this link for really good info with photos to help identify the bug and how to treat. http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf

It
    is very important that you re-dust all your birds within 10 days so that you kill any newly hatched bugs before they can mature and lay more eggs.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I am treating lice

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I know it's small comfort, but lice are actually easier to get rid of than mites. Lice don't hide in the cracks and crevices of your coop so the most you'll have to do (besides dusting each bird) is clean out the coop, put in fresh litter, and sprinkle some of the permethrin in the litter, nesting boxes, and dust bath areas of their run. And, thankfully, you and your children aren't at risk of lice infestation from the chickens.

Just make sure to re-dust your birds within 10 days and replace the litter again. Usually two treatments are adequate, but to be sure you have everything killed, recheck you birds about 7 days later for any live bugs. BTW - those egg (nit) clusters on the feathers will remain until the feathers are lost during molt. They are not a sign that the permethrin didn't work and your birds still have lice.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks so much for the info first time with lice or any bugs.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use the liquid permethrin 10 livestock and premise spray from TSC. It's also easier than dusting for me. Just go around at night and spray all the birds down. Residue lasts around 30 days, so I do it every month or so. No mites or lice here. [​IMG]

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:I didn't even know they made that. I feel so stupid about all this I have been treating them with de and it didn't work and 4h fairs are coming. I also have been changing there bedding everyday which has cost me a fortune it has been 2 weeks.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I didn't even know they made that. I feel so stupid about all this I have been treating them with de and it didn't work and 4h fairs are coming. I also have been changing there bedding everyday which has cost me a fortune it has been 2 weeks.

DE is more for prevention rather than treatment. If you have an active infestation of mites/lice you need something alot stronger than DE.

Good luck at the 4h fairs!

9. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Quote:Hi I have a question do you just mist the birds or do ruffle up the feathers and get down to the skin?

I just dusted all my coops with permethrin but I like your idea a lot better.

10. nefarmgal

nefarmgal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    I am also curious as to if the chicken eggs are safe to eat during the time the birds are treated with permetherin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by