Permission to shoot neighbor's dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
My babies are only 3 weeks old, so they aren't outside yet. We just moved into our first home on Jan. 17th (out in the country on 8.63 acres), and at least twice a week the neighbor's 2 dogs are in our yard. No matter how many times we chase them off, they come back. I have two boys, ages 8 and 10, who play outside a lot, and I am not always out there with them. My fear is that these dogs may hurt my kids, my chickens (when they are finally outside), or get into a fight with my chocolate lab (who is VERY protective of us).

The neighbor on the other side of "problem" neighbor has told me he's been having problems with these dogs for months. They come on his property, tear up his trash, have scared the crap out of his elderly wife...he's even shot near them with his gun and they still come back. He approached "problem" neighbor and told him what his dogs have been doing, and the guy got nasty with him, denied his dogs were on his property, and threatened him. Needless to say, I don't want to approach "problem" neighbor myself, because the guy sounds like a real jerk.

Today I caught the dogs on my property again. I ran and got my camera and took pictures...PROOF that they were running at large on my property. I grabbed one of my boys' bb guns and nailed one in the butt...it wasn't close enough to hurt, and that's why I shot at it. Just enough to make it jump. I then called Animal Control

Unfortunately Goochland County doesn't have a leash law, except from April 1 through May 31. I told the officer my concerns about my children, my chickens, and my dog...and he said that I have the right to protect myself, my family, and my pets and poultry. He said the dogs don't even have to BITE my kids, KILL my chickens, or ATTACK my dog...if they seem aggressive towards us, or I catch them ATTEMPTING to get my chickens, buy running after them, or trying to get in their run, that I have the right to shoot the dogs. "If you go outside and the dogs are trying to dig under your chicken run, you have the right to shoot them." Woohoo!!! Here I thought I'd have to wait for the dogs to hurt or kill something before I could take action in order to have proof ...and I don't have to!

The officer said he'd go talk to "problem" neighbor, check to make sure they are properly licensed, and explain to him that there's been complaints from the neighbors, and even though there isn't a leash law right now, if he values the lives of his dogs, he should keep them on his own property because the dogs could get shot. He also said that if the dogs do ANY damage to my property, which INCLUDES peeing on my landscaping or tearing up trash, I can sue them. And he said he knows for a fact a lot of people win law suits like that.

Those dogs go anywhere near my children, my dog, or my chickens, I'll blow 'em away.

The culprits:

LET ME TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE! You better get a hold on this NOW! I am THE BIGGEST lover of animals but it is YOUR JOB to protect your own a nice pellet in the a_ _
is what they need and that may not be enough you do what you have to do, in the country my whole life, inside your fence you shoot! They WILL kill your chickens.

I don't mean to offend and I would never hurt an animal but I have been pushed to this frame of mind over the years, after loosing so much stock

LET ME TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE! You better get a hold on this NOW! I am THE BIGGEST lover of animals but it is YOUR JOB to protect your own a nice pellet in the a_ _
is what they need and that may not be enough you do what you have to do, in the country my whole life, inside your fence you shoot! They WILL kill your chickens.

I don't mean to offend and I would never hurt an animal but I have been pushed to this frame of mind over the years, after loosing so much stock

X2 I've lost several of my chickens due to stupid & irresponsible dog owners refusing to keep their animals on their own property. Another member on here, "speckledhen" has the perfect statement for her signature line. "A dog on it's own property is a pet; a dog on someone else's property is a PREDATOR". That pretty much sums it all up perfectly.

I understand where you both are coming from, and I commend you for your attitudes on the subject. I have some fears however about shooting dogs on my property that haven't shown themselves as being a threat (yet). First fear: getting in trouble with the law. Second fear: getting in trouble with the dog owner. If I shoot the dog(s) for no apparent reason, and the owners are home (which they always are when the dogs are running loose), they will hear the shots and know it came from my house. There isn't anyone else. So who's to say the owners won't try to "get back" at me somehow? I know the whole "SSS", but the first "S" would require a silencer to hide my identity, and I don't have one (not to mention they're illegal I think). So I don't believe the option of shooting them because they are a potential threat applies with me. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

EDITED TO ADD:
I forgot to mention this: About a month ago there was a story on the news about two Huskies shot in the county next to us. The shooter told reporters that he shot them because they were at where his roosters were and thought they were going to kill the roosters. Guess what? He is charged with two counts of animal cruelty. Here's the story: http://wtvr.com/2013/02/06/arrest-made-in-death-of-two-huskies/

Also, while looking for that story, I found a similar case: http://www.examiner.com/article/pennsylvania-woman-sentenced-to-jail-time-for-killing-neighbor-s-dog

Last edited:
Please forgive me for being blunt, tis my nature lol
BUT it is a shame your chickens are going to be killed before you figure this fact of life out, I suppose (and I understand) you were just venting earlier.
My answer was based on your question.
As for the law, you have already been told you can shoot at PERCEIVED threat, so that fear is not founded.
As for the neighbor, I understand, I am a woman living with my kids out in the country so I know the fear of retaliation, that being said : when your chickens are all gone and you find out you wont be able to keep anything (livestock) when your dog or god forbid your child is mauled in their own yard you may feel differently.

Please forgive me for being blunt, tis my nature lol
BUT it is a shame your chickens are going to be killed before you figure this fact of life out, I suppose (and I understand) you were just venting earlier.
My answer was based on your question.
As for the law, you have already been told you can shoot at PERCEIVED threat, so that fear is not founded.
As for the neighbor, I understand, I am a woman living with my kids out in the country so I know the fear of retaliation, that being said : when your chickens are all gone and you find out you wont be able to keep anything (livestock) when your dog or god forbid your child is mauled in their own yard you may feel differently.
goodpost.gif
I totally agree with the above post.

"he said that I have the right to protect myself, my family, and my pets and poultry. He said the dogs don't even have to BITE my kids, KILL my chickens, or ATTACK my dog...if they seem aggressive towards us, or I catch them ATTEMPTING to get my chickens, buy running after them, or trying to get in their run, that I have the right to shoot the dogs. "If you go outside and the dogs are trying to dig under your chicken run, you have the right to shoot them." This says it all.

Since you've already contacted law enforcement & they've told it's ok to shoot any animal on your property you "perceive" is threatening you, your children or pets or livestock, you are within your rights to eliminate the stupid dogs & if the "owner" threatens you, in ANY way, have him arrested, he's breaking the law, not you. You're simply defending your life & property.

Last edited:
Chickens do not HAVE to be killed if they have a secure coop/run, even if that means putting up hot wire to keep predators away. I use hot wire and the dogs that have been zapped do not even return to my property to try that again. Free ranging birds will be exposed not only to these dogs but the next ones this guy gets and whatever else happens along. It's endless.

That said, I do NOT tolerate dogs on my property, especially if they show an unhealthy interest in my animals. If a dog is friendly I will contain it and have animal control pick it up. If it is not friendly or shows aggression in any way it won't leave my property alive. I do my best to protect my own animals with safe pens and I have yet to have a predator get in, but that does not mean I will sit and watch one try!

Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I hate reading about dogs killing poultry...but I know where you comming from. We live out in the country.. There are stray dogs that get dumped nearby and few dogs are neighbor's. We have about 150 chickens, ducks, geese & guineas in a 4 acre 7' high chain link fence pen with a lake. We also have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Over the last several years I have killed about 20 to 30 stray dogs and neighbor's dogs that have either wounded and killed my poultry. I & other farmers have told all the neighbors the consequineces of them not taking good care of their dogs. We have constant contact with deputies who have told us to kill any dog or predator that threatens property. In all the years I have not heard of anyone being charge with cruelty but each state law is different. We also have 24 hours survillance cameras that record everything constantly. I have on some occasions got re-inbursed for my poultry and livestock from dog attacks...

Dont wait for it to be a problem. Don't wait for your children to be crying over their massacred chickens. The officer has given you permission to get the job done. The law is on your side. Start your zero tolerance policy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom