permit to sell & ship chicks required..

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chicky gal1, May 16, 2009.

1. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    is one required? our local post office stated that to ship day olds (priority mail) a permit is required? no permit for express mail though.. I just want to be sure we are doing this correctly!! [​IMG] thanks for your help!!!

2. cherokeechicken

cherokeechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    anchorage,alaska
    i called the po today and they had me to call the district expedited services office and was told i had to ship them express mail in a bio box.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Thats only for older birds. Day olds are different.

4. cherokeechicken

cherokeechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    anchorage,alaska
    the ones i am shipping are 3 wks old

5. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    so is a permit required?

do you need a license to sell baby chicks? I'm not looking at starting a business here by any means, just finding home for extra hatches..

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    As far as I know a permit is not required. If you ship any birds over a day old you have to ship them express mail with a bio safe box however. You can not ship anything over 1 day old in anything other then that so you cant ship them priority mail. If thats what your asking.

7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The requirements are different for each state. In Texas if we are shipping within the state we don't need a permit to ship them. But if we are going out of state we must be NPIP certified. If we want to sell locally we can have people come to our property to buy but we can not take them off the property to sell (like to a flea market or such)....

So, each state is different. Some are more strigent than others....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by