1. Urbanchickenfarmer

    Urbanchickenfarmer Songster

    Apr 27, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    do you have to have a permit to sell hatching eggs???

  2. I dont know about chickens.. But I do know if you want to sell button quail eggs and pharoh (cortnix) quail eggs and or birds. You need a permit in oregon.. I emailed some place in oregon and found out.. I could try and see if I still have that email or contact info, if you want it..

    I will be watching this thread to find out if you have to have a permit for all hatching eggs. Or just quail here in oregon..
  3. houndit

    houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

    Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    No. That is one thing the government does not regulate yet.
  4. BuckeyeDave

    BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

    May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Soon we'll be taxed on chicken farts.

  5. Crunchie

    Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

    Mar 1, 2007
    Quote:[​IMG] Sad, but possibly true. Yet quite entertaining.

    In MD you are required to hold a permit to sell hatching eggs and live birds. It basically licenses you to operate as a hatchery. I assume this is somthing that differs from state to state.
  6. gumpsgirl

    gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

    Mar 25, 2008
    It depends on the area that you live in. I would suggest checking your local laws to find out or at least with maybe your local Farmers Market.
  7. cjexotic

    cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

    Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Yes it does depend on where you live. I am in pa. Here bobwhites and ring neck pheasants and mallard ducks (no matter if from hatchery or not) must have a permit. You can own them without but you can not sell them or give them away (both birds or eggs). Now cortunix and button quails and red golden, yellow golden and many other pheasants are considered ornamental and we do not need a license.

  8. pips&peeps

    pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

    Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It is required by most States to be NPIP certified to ship eggs in. Some States also request a permit with special certifications like being "MG free" to ship eggs into their State.

    However, most people are not certified and therefore are not trackable when they ship eggs and are breaking laws when they do so.

    I do foresee the individual states cracking down on this soon.
  9. cjexotic

    cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

    Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Hi pips&peeps,

    You are right they have here in pa.. they are training mega people to be a poultry technician and I know its coming soon on a major crack down.
    We have had the law in effect for about 10-15yrs.. they just never really enforced it but they will soon be with vengence.

  10. Just have to be NPIP to sell to people out of state I think. I know in PDX you have to have a permit to have more than 3 laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by