Perosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennigan, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Hennigan

Hennigan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2013
    I got two lame chicks from a feed store last week (Thursday). I helped the one that had a splayed leg, and it walks good as new, the other however still hops around. I tried taping the legs together but noticed that it still hopped to get around. I see its leg is quite thick at the joint or elbow(whatever you want to call it) and so i thought Perosis. Which said you should be able to move the joint back into place by moving it between your fingers, but its completely solid. Ive been reading my information from here: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry , and other various places. What else could be the problem?

Here are pictures of the elbow(?) and a video of movement and how she holds her foot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got them both in hopes i could offer them a better life had no one done anything, so please anything helps. She's full of life and moves around i just want to offer her the best chance i can give, granted i cant afford a vet, i can only offer all of my time...

2. Newbie15

Newbie15 New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi. Were you ever able to find out and correct what was wrong with your chick?
    I have never had chickens before, and we bought some at the feed store last week. I have one that looks exactly like yours, and I'm trying to find a way to help her. I thought at first it was splay leg, so she has had a splint on since Saturday. But she has not improved much. I now think it may be perosis.
    Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. We are already very attached to her and don't want her to suffer.
    Thanks!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are many leg bone deformities that can affect chicks, and some worsen as the chick grows. Many of these can cause the tendon of the hock to become ruptured. Varus/valgus deformity is another common one. I would offer vitamins with minerals, just in case of a deficiency from the parents. Many people will try splinting, and let the chicks grow and try to live as normal a life as possible with their handicap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by